New Guy: Formula Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcleanab

Reaction score
Hey all...

New to this board... currently have two Cab Clones and despite all the reviews, LOVE THEM. My main sound is an ISP Theta Preamp and I've loved the on board cab sim out and found no analog eq filter cab sims that did it for me quite like that one. On a whim, grabbed up a Cab Clone and initially didn't care for it. Decided to radically alter my eq settings on the Theta, and BAM! One of the best cab sims I've ever heard. Now running a second one, each with a different setting. Sounds HUGE. Love it.

I tried a Triaxis last year and just couldn't bond with it. The cleans were amazing, as were the low/mid gain tones. I guess I'm just spoiled by the Theta, but the high gain tones just didn't do it for me... the moment I got rid of it, I some how missed it...

Just made a deal with a guy for a lovely old Formula Preamp. Looked great, no programming, just knobs. Did a bit of research and found some sound samples of excellent cleans and low gain stuff... can't seem to find any high gain samples. Does anyone use the Formula for anything but the cleans? Any high gain users out there? I'd love to know your experiences with the Formula... seriously considering picking up a Grid Slammer to throw in the loop or in front.

- Adam

The formula is based on the Heartbreaker, which is in turn based on the Mark I. I find the gain channels to be too loose and undefined, although I think they serve a purpose when the gain is run low and hit with a boost of some sort on the front, especially in a classic rock kind of setting. I'm using a Formula with a Quad pre in a 16U rack, and the formula is only really being used for cleans at this point. Once I get all of my boosts and overdrives selected, that may change, but I don't foresee any high gain use for it.

Thanks for the info...

I'm looking into the Throttle Box to perhaps run in the loop or in front... the ISP Theta serves my high gain needs, but different voices are always great, or I might just use it for cleans... as I recall, the Triaxis gave the Theta a run for it's money in the super, no cab sims, run direct cleans... if the Formula can match that, I'll be happy for sure!

John Petrucci used a formula pre in several rack rigs just for his clean tones. I've compared the formula to the mark IV, roadster, and quad cleans, and the formula IS on top for clean sounds. If you look at the schematic, you'll see it is pretty much a fender clean channel with a mids knob. There may be a few value changes on some resistors or capacitors, but IMO the formula is the best clean I have heard.

JMMP said:
John Petrucci used a formula pre in several rack rigs just for his clean tones. I've compared the formula to the mark IV, roadster, and quad cleans, and the formula IS on top for clean sounds. If you look at the schematic, you'll see it is pretty much a fender clean channel with a mids knob. There may be a few value changes on some resistors or capacitors, but IMO the formula is the best clean I have heard.

Fantastic! Always on the look out for high gain stuff, but that's great to hear... I'll keep you posted when I get it and put it through it's paces. I might just get the Throttle-Box and mess around with it too!

Uh, **** the cleans are nice on the Formula!!!

Only had it for a few hours and sporadically playing around... can't say I care for the high gain too much, but haven't played a lot with that yet... the cleans cover some wide ground, especially flipping between the EMG 57 and SAV in my Charvel... SO nice.

Perhaps I should put this in another topic, BUT...

I like the cab sim/recording outs on the Formula... stuck a Grid Slammer in front of it, turned the gain to about 2 o'clock on the Lead 2 channel, and it was pretty sweet... not quite as searing at the Theta or what I remember of the Triaxis, but pretty good...

Does anyone know if the cab sim/recording outs on the Triaxis are the same as those on the Formula, or is it a different circuit?

Any and all information is appreciated, as I might be picking up a Triaxis soon!!!

I just looked at the schematics for both: no, the recording circuits are not exactly the same, but there are some similarities. How it changes the tonality, I'm not sure. When I recorded my old TriAxis, I went from the regular output into my computer and used an IR of a 2:Ninety and it sounded very good. What I can't find is the difference between the two recording circuits. The formula has a switch on the front, and the TriAxis has a different circuit depending on which recording output you plug into. My schematics didn't show this switch or multiple recording outputs.

I saw over on the ada forum that you have a Lex G2. That plus the Tri is a great combination! You may find the formula redundant if you buy a TriAxis though, unless you are just completely a clean player/ only care about a clean.

PS/spam: I have a TriAxis for sale. Check the other classifieds subforum on this site if you are interested.

Yeah, I actually got the Formula by trading a Torpedo CAB... don't care for all the IR stuff... prefer the analog eq filter stuff... I'm old!

Yeah, my Lexicon G2 is LONG gone... it was a great unit, and I had a lot of fun with it.

How different are the cleans on each preamp? I like the Formula A LOT, but love the programmability of the Triaxis of having several patches ready to go as opposed to turning knobs and sliders (I know, first world problems....).

Thanks for the info!

- Adam

JMMP said:
I just looked at the schematics for both: no, the recording circuits are not exactly the same, but there are some similarities. How it changes the tonality, I'm not sure. When I recorded my old TriAxis, I went from the regular output into my computer and used an IR of a 2:Ninety and it sounded very good. What I can't find is the difference between the two recording circuits. The formula has a switch on the front, and the TriAxis has a different circuit depending on which recording output you plug into. My schematics didn't show this switch or multiple recording outputs.

I saw over on the ada forum that you have a Lex G2. That plus the Tri is a great combination! You may find the formula redundant if you buy a TriAxis though, unless you are just completely a clean player/ only care about a clean.

PS/spam: I have a TriAxis for sale. Check the other classifieds subforum on this site if you are interested.

I haven't compared them through the same power amp (yet). From memory, if you were to A/B them, I'll bet 9/10 people would prefer the formula. If you recorded a song on the formula, then performed it live with a TriAxis, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference. The TriAxis is more Mesa clean, whereas the Formula is more Fender, so a little more brilliant or sparkling, to use some overdone language.

I've gone on a bit of a lexicon shopping spree recently (part of why I'm selling the TriAxis). What didn't you like about the G2? Did you find the cab sims to be good? I have toyed around with the idea of a 2u G2 and TriAxis rig, but that's a lot of money wrapped up in a rig that would basically be for backup/direct only sounds. Then again, it is cheaper than an axe-fx.

I LOVED the cab sims in the Lexicon! And the reverbs and delays... the chorus on clean sounds were great too, but I'm spoiled with my high gain chorus sounds, and the Lex couldn't quite pull off that old Gallen-Krueger 250rl/2000cpl chorus sound or the ADA MP-1 chorus (I've found it in the ISP Theta Pro). The g2 is a GREAT unit... I'm always tone chasing, selling, trading... I always want to hear what's out there...

(SPAM: Triaxis listing? Can't find it!)

Thanks for the tips on the differences/similarities of the Tri and the Pre... I really want to try out the Grid Slammer on something that has a bit more bite and hardcore tones like the Triaxis to see how far it will go... and if I end up with two Mesa preamps, well, there are worse things... :)

JMMP said:
I haven't compared them through the same power amp (yet). From memory, if you were to A/B them, I'll bet 9/10 people would prefer the formula. If you recorded a song on the formula, then performed it live with a TriAxis, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference. The TriAxis is more Mesa clean, whereas the Formula is more Fender, so a little more brilliant or sparkling, to use some overdone language.

I've gone on a bit of a lexicon shopping spree recently (part of why I'm selling the TriAxis). What didn't you like about the G2? Did you find the cab sims to be good? I have toyed around with the idea of a 2u G2 and TriAxis rig, but that's a lot of money wrapped up in a rig that would basically be for backup/direct only sounds. Then again, it is cheaper than an axe-fx.

I agree on the preamps. You can see my signature for the proof.
I have been loving the sounds from the g2 and everything else lexicon.
Never had the pleasure of trying an mp1. I've been hung up on the Mesa sounds for 6 years now, and don't feel the desire to go elsewhere for amplification yet.

It's under a thread I posted Sunday. Here's the link http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=70705

Here is a link to the files where I compared the record out circuits, if you want to look https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kktsthzgcicyc3v/AAC13VaG1Snu3KPZLDJnLO4pa?dl=0

Well, my deal with the Triaxis went through! So I am now the proud owner of a Mesa Formula Pre, a Triaxis, a Grid Slammer and a Throttle Box (I'll be getting rid of maybe both of those) in addition to two Cab Clones... whoot!

I've only had a couple of hours total time with the Triaxis (including my time last year) but man oh man, I don't know why I gave it up the first time... this time (since I run mostly direct), I am running it through the cab sims on the Rocktron Xpression... I remember the Engl e530 sounding pretty good through the Rocktron, and the Triaxis sounds great with the high gain stuff.... great cab sims, a touch of EQ to open it up and it's big, searing and mean.

The cleans are great too... however, I think the Formula might have a 'prettier' voice for cleans... just seems a little more open and dynamic... I still have some comparing to do when I get some time, but I'm pretty happy with both....

Hey Adam,

good to hear your back in Triaxis-land!! Now just get rid of your EMGs for some *real* pups :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kidding ;-)

Rock on bro!

SC (from the ADA-Depot)

Hey man!

Yeah, I had to give it another go... I think the ISP Theta will always be my go-to, but it's nice to have something different...

So, it's been a while since I've had the "Triaxis Killer" ADA MP-2... I can't remember, but are the tones comparable? (You have an MP-2 in your sig, so I thought I would ask!!!)

Triaxstasy said:
Hey Adam,

good to hear your back in Triaxis-land!! Now just get rid of your EMGs for some *real* pups :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just kidding ;-)

Rock on bro!

SC (from the ADA-Depot)

Hey Adam,

I wouldn't call it by that name...never have anyways since I had my Triaxis since the 90s.
Two different cups of tea....the ADA has more of that Marshall flavor to it and its initial OD/Dist comes from a Dual Opamp, same as the MP1.
The MP2 sounds also more "processed"....
The parallel loop is kinda nice feature, but overall I'm more into the Mk tones the Triaxis offers (plus Ld1 Red)

^^^^^^

Yeah, that's kinda of my memory of it as well... just wanted to be sure because it had been so long...

The Triaxis is sounding great... got a few hours with it yesterday... and tonight, I'm hoping to give a good go to compare cleans with the Formula Pre. I got some really good cleans yesterday with the Triaxis, so here's hoping!

Back to the Formula: when I turn it on, there's a pretty loud hum in the body of the unit, not out of speakers, and it seems to not affect the sound at all... does anyone else's Formula do the same thing? The Triaxis is dead quiet like all of my other gear...

I've got a Formula, Rectifier and Studio. My intention was to long term test all three and see which I preferred but the answer appears to be 'all of them'. The cleans on the Formula are just beautiful, amazing, brilliant. It works well with pedals for a bit of gain too. The Rectifiers crunch is to die for and the Studio is king of lead - I got all three for less than £1k, astonishing tonal flexibility for the money.

Time to go crank em up!

My Rectifier went on the blink this week so I went back to the Formula again - those cleans are just to die for, amazing detail and warmth with great feel, just the very best zingy sound. Conversely I can confirm all forms of gain are just flubtastic, kind of toooo FAT and wide and big - might work in a final mixdown but sucks for band nights.

The Studio and Rectifier just kill the Formula in evey way for gain.

My final test needs to be comparing the Studio cleans to the Formula.

Back