My TriAxis Experience

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMMP

Reaction score
If you've read my posts before in this forum, and other threads around the interwebs, you'll see that I have previously owned a TriAxis, and sold it after a number of months and complained about different aspects of it and praising the quad preamp and mark IV in its place.

NOT SO FAST.
I happened upon (and bought) a cheaper 1.0 TriAxis recently, and really got to explore it today through the power section of my Mark IV. This version kills. Several factors I think are contributing to this.
1: The pick. Last attempt, I used a JP signature pick almost exclusively. After selling my last Tri, I realized that pick adds a lot of bass.
2: strings. The strings on my guitars are newer (but not new by any means)
3: the power amp. My Mark IV has a mix of 6L6 and EL-34s right now, but even when I had 4x 6L6s in it earlier, the TriAxis sounded better than the IV to me.
4: This is a version 1.0. The British Lead is pretty good, but now I found quite good settings in the entire Lead 1 range, which I could not previously do.

I wasn't expecting to like it this much, but now I want to make a mini (2u or 4u) rig around it.

Anyone else try multiple versions of the TriAxis and have any comments? My previous Tri was a very late serial number version 2.0 TX5 "classic boogie lead" model.

PS: Did I mention all the pretty lights? :lol:

JMMP, been there, done that, got the T-Shirt.

I used to have a V2 Phat in the early 2000s and couldn´t get a (to me) satisfying tone out of it...eventually sold it and stuck to my (modded) ADA MP1s, Engl heads,...
In 2007 I stumbled upon a very early V1 that was converted to an even more early V2 non phat by Boogie (must have been shortly after they came up with the TX4 board). This unit even has socketed ICs (>>IC 3 now an OPA2604)....
That one in combination with a blue light 2:90 (6L6/EL34 integrated set) has been my mainstay ever since.
IMG_1663_zpsgserguob.jpg

Hey Triaxstasy,
Do you use the V2 software at all? Did you socket the opamps, or is that how all early TriAxii are?

That's a nice rig! I actually have a Lexi G2 set to arrive on Wednesday, and it's my plan to use it with the TriAxis. I'm not sure if you're a Petrucci fan, but Musicians Institute posted a YouTube video of him from 1998, and his clinic rig was a TriAxis, G2, Eventide GTR4000, and a 2:90, and his tones were some of the best I've heard!

Thanks for the reply!!

Hey JMMP,

the dual OPAmps were all socketed in this TA, dunno though if it came factory like this....rumors are some of the early ones came this way.
I don't use any Midi CC with the Triaxis though...

The MPX-G2 is a humongous unit in terms of possibilities and sound quality. Pair it with the R1 remote and an extra Expr pedal (I added a Rocktron Hex) and the possibilities are endless.
I'm a big JP fan and my main bank is actually very reminiscient of the sounds he demo'd in his 2007 Chaos in Motion Tour rig rundown...

Lemme know once you have your G2 and all wired up in 4 cable method and I'll send you some of my G2 patches

Cheers

P.S. You gotta link to that vid you mentioned?? ;-)

My early 300s seral number is all socketed (!).

Been playing the Tri through my Lexi G2 and LOVE the possibilities!
Waiting on my 2:90 to get here this week, but I may have to fix some stuff on it.

Nazgul, it should be in the tube area, on the left wall when looking from the back.

Back