Quieting Mesa power amp fan noise?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slybird

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Quilter 101. It is so easy to gig with that I probably will not go back to heavier gear for shows.

I own a Triaxis and 2:50. I don't gig with them anymore, but I'm not letting them go. I like them too much. They sound great even at quiet city apartment levels. I want to start using them as the W portions of a home WDW set up.

My issue is this, the fans is too loud. Not a problem when gigging or for band practice, but at home it is an issue.

I'm thinking of taking off the top off the 2:50, disconnect the fan, and letting convection cooling work. Will this prevent the safe operation of the power amp?

Are there any other options I should look into?

Thanks for any replies.

I doubt it would hurt the amp, as long as there is nothing above it restricting convection, and the ambient temps are not too hot. But in a rack, what ever is in the rack above it is going to literally get baked like it was in an oven.

You may be able to find a quieter replacment fan, they make pretty expensive exotic bearing fans that perform better, just make sure they are the same or better specs (AC/DC, Volts, Amps, CFM, operating temps, bearing life, MTF).

I am just updating this old post for anyone looking up info.

I contacted Mesa shortly after posting this. They said running the 2:50 without fan should be fine as long as it has room top and bottom for air circulation and I am not pushing it.

What I did was install a mini toggle switch for turning fan operation on and off.

I ended up putting a 180ohm 4w resistor on the positive lead to the fan, and replaced it with a PC power supply fan (ADDA brand). It moves a bit of air and is almost silent.

Back