Is this true? Quad pre won't work without FU-2?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markedman

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Do you really need the foot switch to get sound? That's what this fellow says! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Quad-Preamp-MISSING-FOOTSWITCH-/131559740234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea192534a

I think it just stays stuck on one channel unless you have a foot switch. There are individual 1/4 inch jacks on the back for each channel that can also be used so a variety of aftermarket switchers can be used.

Rob227 said:
I think it just stays stuck on one channel unless you have a foot switch. There are individual 1/4 inch jacks on the back for each channel that can also be used so a variety of aftermarket switchers can be used.

Truth
For the nearly 4 years I've had mine, a shorted 1/4" plug has been what I use to switch channels. FWIW, the default channel is Lead 2. If you're dead set on a mesa footswitch, I know the mark IV footswitch works with mine (a midi quad). I am in the process of making a rig around the quad, and I will likely be using a GCX to change channels on the quad and a formula pre.

PS: you can use a rhythm or lead from each channel at the same time, which is difficult to do with the footswich, but easy with shorted 1/4" or relay switch system.

I got a nice fu -2 footswitch I don't know if I can find the cable......?????? its a fu-2 not the fu2A

I have one and you can indeed use the 1/4" jacks to change channels. Another advantage to this is that you can actually run channel 1 and 2 at the same time for some unique sounds. You can get a universal switcher with 1/4" plugs on ebay or just use a shorted 1/4" jack and plug it into the channel you want activated as was mentioned.

mine was stuck on no channel at all until i figured i could short it (used one of those planet waves cables with a kill switch in it). i ended up building a footswitch, similar to the ones you can buy on ebay, but it wasn't ideal. now i have a midi switcher (nobels ms-8) which works perfectly.

false!!!, You can use a Rockman Midi Octopus or Mini amp Gizmo and have more versatility and control over your sound and Even get new sounds using both channels simultaneously unavailable on No other Mesa Boogie preamp or Amp. Graphic EQ of both Channels can be use simultaneously Too.

You can use a wah from the amp input to the decided channel inputs on the back of the Quad. Step on the wah to activate channel.

Or you can get a Rockman midi octopus and a midi board of choice + benefit of midi for effects.

Markedman said:
Do you really need the foot switch to get sound? That's what this fellow says! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Boogie-Quad-Preamp-MISSING-FOOTSWITCH-/131559740234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1ea192534a
To actually answer your question...yes. With no other devices like shorted plugs, midi switchers etc you’ll get nothing out of the Quad without the foot switch. This happened to me when I got mine recently. No lights, no sound until I selected a channel on the Footswitch.

I am currently using a wah to select channels so no ft2 can be done but to change you need to move the input jack on the Quad for your choice of channel this way.

I have yet to use the Rockman octopus as its 110 volt not 230 volt for European use and I got no effects to use the midi on it yet.

I do have the FU2 board but the plug is bad on the cable

Now I have the Rockman midi octopus handling the ext outputs and a Rocktron midi mate board which came in the deal together. Got the special DIN cable to connect board to octopus and it works for channel switching very well. The special DIN cable was for the midi mate and other boards might be different.

The 8 ext outputs on the Quad can all be connected and stored in the octopus very simple. So you can have reverb of or on, or boost and also the combined rhytm or lead channels together along with the normal modes.

For Danish voltage 240 you can get an inexpensive converter to plug into or change the transformer in the octopus. Manual for that can be found on Google. That is you import the octopus from US.

Finally the octopus do have a midi through port left for a effects unit to be added if you want.

So standard FU2 board will be backup in any case.

Back