TriAxis or Recto Recording Pre?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j20056

Reaction score
Looking for a recording rig. I own a Mesa 2:20 power amp, and look to add a preamp for fat lead tone. Which unit is better for the fat saturated lead tone I'm after (Satriani, Vai)? Which one would work best with the 2:20 and a marshall 4x12 with Vintage 30's?
Which one has the best direct OUT to record without miking the cabs?

The Recto Pre has the better direct recording outs.

As for what's better for a fat saturated lead tone....I really can't help you there. Do you prefer Rectifier, MkIV or MkIIC+ type leads. The Recto will get you the first one, and the Triaxis will get you the last two. It'll also try to get you the Recto lead tone, but it doesn't quite succeed (though it's not bad by any means).

Thanks for your reply. I guess I don't know enough about the 3 types of Mesa models, or their sounds. Perhaps it would be quite useful if you could associate names of guitar players next to each type, so i can relate better, when you have 5mn. Thanks if you can... and thanks anyways!

MkIIC+ = Metallica - Master of Puppets

MkIIC+ & MkIV = Metallica - And Justice for All

MkIV = Lamb of God

Recto + Marshall JTM = System of a Down - Toxicity

Recto = Korn

Recto = The Darkness

Recto = Soundgarden - Superunknown

Those are some I can think of off the top of my head...but there's plenty more.

I know the TriAxis has recording outs, so that's not a problem. The Recto Recording is supposed to be great for recording, but it won't have the tones that a TriAxis can generate. So if it's between a Recto Recording vs. a Recto, then I'd say go with the recording. But against the TriAxis? It all depends on what kind of tones you want. Like I said, the TriAxis can do recording out (I like to mix 50% recording out, 50% mic'd from the amp with a condensor mic), but if all you use is Lead 1 Red on a TriAxis, perhaps you should look at the Recto Recording.

Compare 'em side by side if you can.

Back