Quad vs Mark III

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
Lately I ve been looking for a blue or a red mark III to get to that raw and aggressive tone. Don't get me wrong.. I am more than in love with the tones I can get outta the quad + 2:90 combo, especially when engaging a parametric eq in the loop. Has anyone compared this exact combination, or sth similiar to a mark III? I have been thinking of selling my 2:90 and buy a blue mark to try experimenting with the quad...

Never mind I just ordered a Mark III blue stripe fully loaded and I will be experimenting! Another question... Could I just run the quad through the Mark's power section...?

You can run the quad into the mark III's effects loop. When you do this, try both the preamp's effects out and the preamp's output into the mark III, as I have found that each one yields different textures.

JMMP said:
You can run the quad into the mark III's effects loop. When you do this, try both the preamp's effects out and the preamp's output into the mark III, as I have found that each one yields different textures.
Ok I ll try that! thx a lot!

I tried what you are suggesting with my quad and a previous red stripe mark 3 simul. I found that there wasn't much advantage to doing it. It seemed to me like it was just becoming overly processed and didn't sound as good as just running it as it was intended.

If I ever buy another mark 3 or v and had enough gear I would just run two complete setups and switch between the two with one of those multi amp footswitches.

Rob227 said:
I tried what you are suggesting with my quad and a previous red stripe mark 3 simul. I found that there wasn't much advantage to doing it. It seemed to me like it was just becoming overly processed and didn't sound as good as just running it as it was intended.

If I ever buy another mark 3 or v and had enough gear I would just run two complete setups and switch between the two with one of those multi amp footswitches.
I ll leave feedback as soon as I try it!

Did you ever end up testing this out?

I did some experimenting with different power amps and my quad and I liked el34's best. I am going to try a 2.50 with el34's or a 2.95 and just run it in class A mode using the el34's.

I read somewhere that Metallica used el34 marshall power sections to achieve the sound they were looking for on some of the early albums. You could also try running your 2.90 with half the tubes as el34's. The diagram to put them in properly is around here somewhere.

Rob227 said:
Did you ever end up testing this out?

I did some experimenting with different power amps and my quad and I liked el34's best. I am going to try a 2.50 with el34's or a 2.95 and just run it in class A mode using the el34's.

I read somewhere that Metallica used el34 marshall power sections to achieve the sound they were looking for on some of the early albums. You could also try running your 2.90 with half the tubes as el34's. The diagram to put them in properly is around here somewhere.
I know this is an old thread but yesterday I tried running the quad on the mark III's effect loop. I only tested the 1st lead channel! Im going to post some clips as soon as I find the time!

Sounds good. Give us your impression of how you think the power tubes compare and effect the tone.

Rob227 said:
Sounds good. Give us your impression of how you think the power tubes compare and effect the tone.
As promised..!

Interesting A B test... Same settings on both preamps. Recorded using my isolation cabinet (evml12) + shure sm 57. Please comment...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ijGWV4 ... e=youtu.be
reverb lead on this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoK0aSD ... e=youtu.be

Back