Mesa 295 or Mesa 2:90 to replace a Mesa 50/50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramerxxx

Reaction score
Hi,
I have a Soldano SP77 preamp that I power with a Mesa 50/50 power amp. It sounds good, but I want to upgrade the power amp to a better one.

For those that have had experience with all three, which power amp would you choose? There is a 295 and a 2:90 local to me, with the 295 being about $200 more than the 2:90. I like the idea of having a power amp with the bigger Power and Output transformers but does it really make a difference? Is the 295 worth $200 more than the 2:90? Is either the 295 or 2:90 worth more than $600 than the 50/50? Is there a clear winner here or would I be better off just keeping what I have?

I've read about everything I can find on these two power amps and not many people have owned both the 295 and the 2:90 at the same time.

Your thoughts?

What size venues do you play?

IMO unless you are playing 70,000 seat arenas you don't need the added heat, weight & cost of operation (eight powertubes) of a 200W poweramp.

What is it about the bigger wattage amps that you feel would be better for you than the 50/50? I don't agree that the 2:90 or 295 are better amps, just different amps. The transformers may be physically larger, but they are also doing more work.

Have you looked into the Deep Mod for the 50/50? Might be just what you need to breath some new life into your rig.

Dom

I was in this same dilemma a few months back. I have the 50/50, i'm happy with it, but was just looking to upgrade. I ended up doing the bias mod (basically installing a bias pot and setting bias hotter) which definitely affected the tone. It seems to add a bit more tube character now to whatever i send it. I recommend giving this a shot. It eased up my power amp GAS for now at least.

I play, mostly, small to medium sized venues. I understand the cost difference for more tubes, I was specifically looking for the best possible tone I could get.

I have piggy-backed an additional resistor on the existing bias resistor to bring the range up to around 30ma - which definitely helped the 50/50 sound better.

My original question wasn't specifically for more volume or power. I've noticed that running 4 power tubes adds a more 3-D quality to the output than just running 2 power tubes. I've experienced this with a lot of different amps that have a 1/2 power switch, or with amps that I've pulled 2 power tubes and made them a 50watt version of the same amp.

Also, I'd read somewhere that the 295 was built with more expensive parts, (*i.e. the bigger transformers), and that it sounded better than the 2:90.

the problem is not a lot of people have owned both the 295 and the 2:90 at the same time to offer up a comparison.

But thanks guys, for posting and sharing your experience.

kramerxxx said:
I play, mostly, small to medium sized venues. I understand the cost difference for more tubes, I was specifically looking for the best possible tone I could get.

I have piggy-backed an additional resistor on the existing bias resistor to bring the range up to around 30ma - which definitely helped the 50/50 sound better.

My original question wasn't specifically for more volume or power. I've noticed that running 4 power tubes adds a more 3-D quality to the output than just running 2 power tubes. I've experienced this with a lot of different amps that have a 1/2 power switch, or with amps that I've pulled 2 power tubes and made them a 50watt version of the same amp.

Also, I'd read somewhere that the 295 was built with more expensive parts, (*i.e. the bigger transformers), and that it sounded better than the 2:90.

the problem is not a lot of people have owned both the 295 and the 2:90 at the same time to offer up a comparison.

But thanks guys, for posting and sharing your experience.
I here you, I love a big, powerful output section with my Roadster.

The 2:90 & 295 are Simul-Class amps, similar to the Mark IV & Mark V output sections. The 50/50 is a conventional Class AB poweramp, more like a Recto, SLO100 or Marshall output section.

I also own a Recto 2:100 (Class AB), I have hooked it up to my Roadster in various ways and it never felt the same as the output section of the amp to me.

Here it is being tried as the wet amp in a W/D/W setup, not even close to practical for the size places we play, but very fun indeed :twisted: .

F7EC5803-073B-4D4D-8927-50263638AE74-6653-0000038BFFFE93EE.jpg

Good luck with your tone quest.

Dom

I'm with domct203. If you aren't playing for 15,000 people you don't need it. I've owned all of the above and then some. I don't like the 2:90's because the plastic pots and knobs break off. They are easy to fix but what a pain and could put you in a bine live. They have a lot of power but I like the 50/50 old school tone better. Your 50/50 has steel pots and the ugly old school durable knobs. I've placed only one plastic knob (never a pot) in 25 years. I've soldered 3-4 pots (they get dirty or break off) in both my 2:90's. I've owned two 2:90's and sold both without owning them for a long period. One 2:90 was used and one was like brand new. Always went back to my old reliable 50/50's. The 50/50 was my first boogie and I've had it 25-26 years. My first one wreeks like cigarettes and booze from playing in clubs. I took my first one in 5-6 years ago for maintenance (professionally cleaned tube sockets replaced resister out of tolerance). It needed a nicotine cleanse. And I've ran numerous sets of tubes through it and has a lot of miles on it. I actually own two 50/50's one for back up. I don't know why. lol They don't break. My second one is a little cleaner than my first. I have a Mesa 295 and a Strategy 400 from 1986 Both I bought from original owners. These thing are bruts and have a lot of tubes. I invested in a tube tester. If your amp has 12-16 tunes ..you need a tube tester. Either of these amps will paste you against the wall with 2 stacks of Mesa cabinets. These are more of a commodity and collectable item than usable pieces. Your 50/50 is a little heavy but these bruts weigh in at about 40-45lbs each. My 50/50's are all stock with Mesa tubes. I have always got compliments on how good my rig sounds ever since I've owned one. The 50/50 is the best rack amp and bang for the buck on the market today and 25 years ago. You can't beat it. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Peace out!

Yes, my opinion the 295 sound better than the 2:90. My 295 sounds like my 50/50 with more power. 295 is a great sounding amp. Period.

P.S. If you don't like your sound maybe change your preamp. Soldano is a good pre amp but if you really want to change your tone, try another preamp.

[/quote]
I here you, I love a big, powerful output section with my Roadster.

The 2:90 & 295 are Simul-Class amps, similar to the Mark IV & Mark V output sections. The 50/50 is a conventional Class AB poweramp, more like a Recto, SLO100 or Marshall output section.

I also own a Recto 2:100 (Class AB), I have hooked it up to my Roadster in various ways and it never felt the same as the output section of the amp to me.

Here it is being tried as the wet amp in a W/D/W setup, not even close to practical for the size places we play, but very fun indeed :twisted: .

F7EC5803-073B-4D4D-8927-50263638AE74-6653-0000038BFFFE93EE.jpg

Good luck with your tone quest.

Dom[/quote]

How do you like your W/D/W setup using the 2:100 with your Roadster? Do you run the Roadster's Slave Out into the 2:100?

kramerxxx, I have no experience with the Mesa power amps being discussed so I can not comment on the tone. However, notice that everyone suggesting you do not need a 2:95 or 2:90 own one themselves. :lol: I'm not being critical of them either. Nobody needs a 100 watt tube amp, at least thats what we tell people, yet we all have them. 8) My personal opinion is I would not sacrifice anything in order to get a larger power amp, but if the opportunity easily presents itself, I would probably give it a try.

Given To Fly said:
.....notice that everyone suggesting you do not need a 2:95 or 2:90 own one themselves. :lol: I'm not being critical of them either. Nobody needs a 100 watt tube amp, at least thats what we tell people, yet we all have them.

Oh, you most certainly do need at least one......

One of my 295s is getting use as my bedroom amp, and it sounds great at low volume - only just enough to drown the fan. Cali76=>Silky Drive=>SPX1000=>295=>whatever cab's around on a given day.

There are some different ways to look and sort through your question.I can tell you having owned a 290,295,400,395,and now I own a 500 and no, you don't need "it" to shatter glass,(the 50/50 will easily do that ), but there is a "hard to put into words" aspect of playing through the 295.395, or even the 500 that the 50 simply will not get you cause of its design,components, etc..I, on occasion will gig some 5000+ seaters where my 500 really shines, but like someone else here already said, I too like my 500, even when its turned down more than the 50,ect.ect...anyways..the 290 is closest to the 50,,,,,the 295 has other stuff going on in it.I loved my 295...I you can play em all- that's always the best way to know for yourself..But, yes, as you increase iron in those poweramps, you should be getting more tonal payback too...best wishes

Littleb said:
There are some different ways to look and sort through your question.I can tell you having owned a 290,295,400,395,and now I own a 500 and no, you don't need "it" to shatter glass,(the 50/50 will easily do that ), but there is a "hard to put into words" aspect of playing through the 295.395, or even the 500 that the 50 simply will not get you cause of its design,components, etc..I, on occasion will gig some 5000+ seaters where my 500 really shines, but like someone else here already said, I too like my 500, even when its turned down more than the 50,ect.ect...anyways..the 290 is closest to the 50,,,,,the 295 has other stuff going on in it.I loved my 295...I you can play em all- that's always the best way to know for yourself..But, yes, as you increase iron in those poweramps, you should be getting more tonal payback too...best wishes

Thanks for your reply, this is what I was wanting to hear. I'm not looking to replace the preamp, it is amazing for what is does. I also don't need more Volume, the 50/50 is plenty loud and I only typically use ONE of the channels.

What I was more interested in, and you hit the nail on the head, it the Sonic Differences of the power amps. It has been MY experience that 100watt, (*4 power tube), amps sound more 3-D than 50watt, (*2 power tube), amps. I attribute this to the differences in the pairs of tubes being used AND the size of the output transformer. I've pretty much decided that I'm going to pick up a 295 as soon as I see one for a reasonable price.

I have another question for you, if you don't mind:

Is there much of a difference between the first series 295, (*the ones that don't have the volume and presence controls on the front), and the second series? I know there is just a Presence rocker switch on the back along with the volume, but was curious if you knew of an actual sound difference in the two models? I'd imagine the one with the presence knobs is more tunable but I'm not sure that much granularity is important to me, honestly.

thanks again for posting!

My 295 was the rear control version..very early one..I get a chuckle to this day when I think of that 295 hitting my doorstep...back in the day, 88-89'ish,I was in metal band that was the equivalent(sort of) of racer x,but a christian version- so to speak- or at least we thought we were.lol.I was tired of getting crappy guitar tones(which seemed like all the shredders had back then) w/ my setup, so I took out a loan and bought: a quad preamp,295 poweramp,2 boogie grill cabs.an abacus midiboard,and a tc 2290, and a Kramer nightswan all from thorobred music.My best friend/ other guitar player in the band had a mosvalve poweramp- not even a close comparison- the 295 ate it for lunch and then some..And that's when boogie sent you a discount card for tubes every year..Loved the whole deal!.But anyways, yes..there is a BIG difference in the "feel" of poweramps as they increase in their iron and power ratings.Thats why the jcm800 2203 is more coveted than the 2204 50 watter.( although either are killer)..Nowadays Im digging my strategy 500 for sure..I could care less how "loud it will turn up to"..its the tight. percussive,immediate,no sag,authoritive feel of the amp that does it for me..maybe try to find some reviews of each 295s..

Some people can own a car with a 4 cylinder engine or a 1200 sq./ft house and never know the feeling. The feeling, the feeling! That difference can't be quantified, it's in you or not and only you can feel it, that feeling. To me, little amps are great for practice, but I need iron to get that feeling and tone I need when playing with others. I can't sell you that feeling and if teenie tiny sound is your thing that gives you that feeling, hooray for you. Some people like modelers and can't feel the tubes in a tube amp, or just don't like the feel of tubes. I must say, my 295 and studio pre-amp have never let me down, even at bedroom/talking levels, whereas I was lost with a 50 watt combo at an outdoor fest a few years ago and felt helpless when people were telling me to turn up. I use my set up with an EV loaded, Mesa/Boogie road ready 4X12 that weighs 175 pounds, so obviously I don't have a "it's too heavy" complex.

Latest posts

Back