Meas 50/50 - worth retubing?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HRGplayer

Reaction score
I use a mesa 50/50 to power my Pod HD (preamp models). When i first got it, I retubed it with a JJ standard 6L6 set (including preamp tubes). So i've been using this rig for awhile now and looking to spruce it up. Is there a retube set that would make a substantial difference over the current 6l6 JJ set i'm using? Would love to hear from owners that have experience with the 50/50. Thanks!

Hi!

I got my Mesa 50/50 retubed last October I used the following tubes and I'm very happy with it:

6L6GC-STR RCA-Style black-plate TAD PREMIUM Selected

12AX7A-C / ECC83 TAD Premium Selected

I've never used JJs for this power amp but did in the past for Marshall head where I installed JJs E34L , those were good tubes, anything special though, so I can't compare JJs vs TADs in your system but I'm really glad with the TADs in the Mesa

If you can't bias your Mesa 50/50 I recommend you to mail TAD as they will recommend certain values for your set of tubes, they answered me really fast and properly but take a look at your Spam box and you'll not wait like I did....

Cheers and luck!

Thanks for the response For_One. I did just add a bias pot so i can bias it now. I may try the TADs next time I retube it. I'm going to ride out the current tubes after the bias mod since i'm enjoying how it sounds biased a bit warmer!

Back