Cab for Triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bronco Pete

Reaction score
Hi There -

I haven´t found a Topic on this, sorry if this question has already been discussed.

I´m looking for a new 4x12 Cab for my Triaxis (2:50).
I consider the following:

Bogner
Mesa Recitfier
Mesa Rectifier traditional
Mesa Roadking
Custom Audio Amplifiers

We Play a lot of Rage against the machine

Bullet in the head: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zzo9A06L_HA

Chillie Style and Alternative Rock.

Has anybody some experiences on that Topic?

Greetings Pete

Hi there,

I'm playing the same setup - Triaxis with 2:50. I opted for a 2x12 Rectifier Cab (std with V30 speakers) and changed it to be stereo wired. I needed a compact rig. I also have a Marshall 1960A 4x12 with G12-T75 speakers.

Frankly, I prefer the G12-T75 cabs. Always have. But the Mesa cabs are certainly nice and the little 2x12 does the job. What sounds really nice is to combine the two cabs, especially when recording

So in a 4x12 I'd probably combine two 75s and 2 V30 (cross mounted).

The cab itself has some impact on the sound. Never tried the CAS cabs but heard good things about them. But then again, any used 1960A Marshall cab will just be fine in my experience. And they're a little lighter than the Mesa cabs.

On a side note: I personally think there are a lot of misconceptions out there about the V30 speakers. People think of them as "heavy metal" speakers and as aggressive. I find them to be more mellow. They work well enough with Mesa amps. They suck with my old Marshall head. The 75s have more bite and sparkle. But again, they work really really well together.

I would have EQd this a bit differently but this gives you an idea:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdSp8KHe53Y

Tom being a Marshall user, it's hard for me not to recommend a Marshall 1960 of some sort. I like the V version (1960AV/BV) since it has V30s, but a regular 1960A (with the 75 speakers 7enderbender mentioned) might suit you just fine. Personally I didn't really like T75s with the TriAxis, but then again, my tone is a bit scooped and thrashy rather than what you guys play, so it might work just fine.

Also, Marshall cabs have 4, 8 and 16 ohm options. That is such a blessing with 2:XX amplifiers since they're stereo. My 2:90 doesn't have 16 ohm mono so I'm glad the 1960 cabs have all the impedances available.

7enderbender said:
On a side note: I personally think there are a lot of misconceptions out there about the V30 speakers. People think of them as "heavy metal" speakers and as aggressive. I find them to be more mellow. They work well enough with Mesa amps. They suck with my old Marshall head. The 75s have more bite and sparkle. But again, they work really really well together.

One more thing: Mesa V30s are drastically different than Marshall or OEM V30s (those are very similar, almost identical). They are kind of mellow. "Regular" V30s can be harsh and aggressive if you're not careful (amp/pickup choice etc.). They take a while to break in too, mine were really abrasive until I gave them a good sonic beating.

Back