Studio Preamp FX level question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THC_4_ONE

Reaction score
First of all, hi there I'm new to the Boogie world but have been reading a lot of interesting info through this forum for a while that has been so good for me to get a good knowledge specially about this great Studio Preamp

I'd like to ask you how do you put you FX loop level when you connect the Studio Pre to a power amp using the FX send instead of main/recording outs.

I run my Studio Pre through an (old too) Fifty/Fifty power amp, but I do use some effect pedals between the fx send and the power amp, these stomp boxes are basically an ISP Decimator G-String and some other time based pedals like a Memory Toy f.ex

At the end of the chain I've got a Fender mini ABY box with the purpose of duplicating the signal that then goes directly to the power amp with 2 cables

So I wonder if there is any problem by running the FX level toggle set as LOW or LINE, which should I better use? Can i blow any pedal by running it in LINE level? Is it bad for the power amp to use one or other level from this toggle?

Any suggestion would be really apreciatted, once more thank you guys for putting a lot of great info into this board, it helped me a lot for sure

You can't "blow" a pedal using line level signal, but the effect may distort if the signal is too hot.

Also, if your FX level is set to LOW, it's not "bad" for the poweramp but the signal may be too weak (amp won't be as loud).

I would recommend using the LOW setting because of the pedals potentially distorting, but if you notice no distortion on LINE you can use that as well.

Just a disclaimer: I don't own a Studio preamp so I'm going off experience with similar FX loop set-ups

Hi Jackie, thanx for your reply, I've been busy these days so couldn't check the forum

BTW lately I finished my homemade pedalboard and located there all of my pedals so I've been able to do some testing; I'm using 4 effects in the FX loop, I had no problems using an EHX Memory Toy and a handmade Reverb but got serious volume droppings and tone sucking by using a MXR Analog Chorus and an old Flanger unit, I have 2 True bypass loops for those pedals as I'm using in 2 different chains (1st Flanger+chorus, 2nd Delay+Reverb), so those issues ohappened when using the loop level set as LINE LEVEL

Before putting all of these pedals together I was hooking the returns directly to the Mesa 50/50 power amp, that was the reason I needed to stay with the loop level selected as LINE LEVEL, as by using the low level option there was a huge volume decrease that I couldn't live with nor use the 2 output knobs from the Studio Pre as I was bypassing Main and/or Recording outs.

Said that, after putting all the pedals together in the final configuration I had those level issues with chorus and flanger units so I decided to try using the loop level as LOW LEVEL, for that purpose I needed to hook both returns to their respective returns in the Studio Pre, then use Main Outs to hook it to the Mesa 50/50 poweramp, so I can turn up both output volumes from the Studio Pre and have an excellent sound

The result was so good, no more volume drops or tone suckings, now I'm really satisfied with this "final configuration", I guess it's not very hard to solve this kind of questions but hopefully this post would help someone with my same situation

Rgz

Back