A word on the build quality of Tri and 2:90...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JT_Marshmallow

Reaction score
So this is not a question - it's really more of a field report. In the last year I have had two bad experiences with Fedex:

1. Purchased a used Simul 2:90 amp online, Fedex dropped it, and it showed up with one rack ear majorly bent with a tasty side of broken glass (two power tubes were pulverized). I opened it up and cherry-picked out every last bit of broken glass, replaced the tubes, turned it on... WORKS FINE. I was just blown away by the fact that, after enough of an impact to bend the 1/4'' steel faceplate, the thing still works.

2. Bought a used Triaxis preamp online, and once again, Fedex dropped it. One rack ear was bent in the same way as was on my 2:90. This time, luckily, no tubes were broken. I opened it up to check it out - everything looks ok. So I plug it on, turn it on... WORKS FINE. Once again I am blown away by the fact that it survived.

In both cases, I was able to bend the rack ear back to being almost like new using a vise-grip. Hold the unit sideways (perpendicular to the vise), put the bent part into the vise, tighten it up, then start pushing until it's straight.

Now that I think of it, this post seems fairly pointless. Oh well.

Haha the only thing you have to worry about now is the stupid plastic header on the 2:90 PCB melting and thus killing your amp !! Mine and a few other guys here has already blown and overheated so weve had to remove it and solder the wires directly to the board. Just a heads up because it is likely to go on yours some time too ;)

Apart from that stupendously stupid issue the build quality is perfect !!! :p

UPS once dropped a 20/20 power amp that I had sold to some dude. The amp worked perfectly although the ear had gotten bent. Luckily, I always take pics before I send stuff. The dude was able to file a claim against UPS. :)

My 50/50 has never been dropped but it definitely takes a beating. In the back of my Forester things are not exactly "Cadillacesque" but she powers up every time at the gig. After the gig, i'm tired and want to get home. I'm like a bull in a china shop by then with loading up. No problems. Not to mention the amp is old as dirt and still problem free.

DMTransmutation said:
So this is not a question - it's really more of a field report. In the last year I have had two bad experiences with Fedex:

1. Purchased a used Simul 2:90 amp online, Fedex dropped it, and it showed up with one rack ear majorly bent with a tasty side of broken glass (two power tubes were pulverized). I opened it up and cherry-picked out every last bit of broken glass, replaced the tubes, turned it on... WORKS FINE. I was just blown away by the fact that, after enough of an impact to bend the 1/4'' steel faceplate, the thing still works.

2. Bought a used Triaxis preamp online, and once again, Fedex dropped it. One rack ear was bent in the same way as was on my 2:90. This time, luckily, no tubes were broken. I opened it up to check it out - everything looks ok. So I plug it on, turn it on... WORKS FINE. Once again I am blown away by the fact that it survived.

In both cases, I was able to bend the rack ear back to being almost like new using a vise-grip. Hold the unit sideways (perpendicular to the vise), put the bent part into the vise, tighten it up, then start pushing until it's straight.

Now that I think of it, this post seems fairly pointless. Oh well.
While that is quite the testament to Mesa's build quality, it does not say much for how people pack heavy items.

IMO if it was packed properly it would have arrive damage free.

Glad everything worked out for the good.

Dom

Latest posts

Back