Triaxis into DIGITAL processor?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRod4928

Reaction score
My needs are to be able to run a very versatile rig with great tone direct into a mixer. I'm leaning toward a Mesa Triaxis for my pre-amp, but beyond that, I have a few options, but price is a big factor for me, I'd like to stay in the $1000-1200 range, and I have no interest in using a true power amp with attenuator for a variety of reasons. I should add that I need to be able to cover music ranging from Classic Metal (ozzy) to David Gilmour and everything in between.

Since I'd like to keep my rig at a line-level signal (no amplification), I'd need some kind of power amp/cab simulation in the chain - and I'll need some basic effects, so here's one idea.... has anyone done this?:

Triaxis into floor processor (like a GT-100, Zoom G5, or POD HD). Obviously the pre-amp section of the processor would be turned off, but all effects/poweramp/cab sim would be turned on.

The advantage is that processor would provide a backup rig, amp/cab simulation, effects, and MIDI control for the Triaxis. Seems like a win, as long as the power amp/cab sims are up to par (which is a huge problem with some processors, I know). 3rd party IR's would fix that, but not many (if any) floor processors are 3rd party IR capable. I've considered other options like a Two Notes Torpedo CAB, but that'll blow the budget. Or even a GSP1101 to provide effects and cab sims, but the IR resolution is low, and the GSP is outdated, etc etc.

Presently, I don't know of any floor processors capable of loading 3rd party IR's...maybe that'll change in 2015 NAMM?

Frankly, I'd do neither nor. Something like the Triaxis really only makes sense in a rig with a tube power amp and appropriate cabs in my opinion. It's actually the route I'm going right now after years of going back and forth between digital/hybrid rigs for the smaller stuff (POD, CyberTwin, etc) and a big and cumbersome setup with a Marshall head, effects rack, V-Twin preamp and pedal board with several loops.

If you're looking to provide a line level signal for PA/FOA anyway I would look at one of the AxeFx options or one of the nicer Line6 products. With that you'd have plenty of flexibility and good sound. I don't think the Mesa modeling in the AxeFx will be worse than running a Triaxis into some other digital device with cab simulation.

The reason I didn't go that route is that I don't like needing to rely on the sound guy for my stage sound. I prefer a miked amp/cab over cab simulation and hoping to get something in the monitors.

Another option would be to just use whatever modeling device you decide on with some kind of fullrange system as a backup - such as a good powered monitor or any of the little amps specifically designed for the AxeFx or Line6 stuff.

But frankly, if all you ever need is running into a mixer a used 100 buck Line6 POD 2.0 will do that. I've done that occasionally and I still think it's great bang for the buck. Yes, the newer models and the AxeFx are better. But actually I don't think they're over a grand better. I've played medium size festival stages with it and recorded an entire album with a POD 2.0 (I was an early adopter of the first version). It still holds its ground I find.

I've very strongly considered AxeFX, but I'm having trouble justifying $2000 for a completely digital setup of which I'll only use 10% of it's capabilities (maybe). Not only that, but digital rigs become outdated due to advances in modeling. So from a financial standpoint, it seems silly to spend 2000 on a digital rig that'll depreciate in value when I can spend less on a tube rig that won't depreciate as fast. I think if I could find a crazy deal, like an AxeFX-II for $1500, I could justify it, because it's such a crazy deal (and only a little bit out of the price range, haha) :mrgreen:

I should add... that not all decisions should be made from a financial standpoint. Which obviously makes it a harder choice. From a tone and versatility standpoint, the AxeFX is the best choice in my opinion.

Hello JRod. I just sent you a PM, BTW.
I have used both a Digi GSP2101 and a Line 6 POD in the FX loop of my Triaxis. Both worked great...just did not use the distortion in them.
I could control the presets with MIDI and it worked out great!

I never tried an AxeFX, but would like to. And yes they are pricey. But a new Triaxis goes for 2k, so quality rarely comes cheap!

Take care! :D

Old BF Shred said:
Hello JRod. I just sent you a PM, BTW.
I have used both a Digi GSP2101 and a Line 6 POD in the FX loop of my Triaxis. Both worked great...just did not use the distortion in them.
I could control the presets with MIDI and it worked out great!

I never tried an AxeFX, but would like to. And yes they are pricey. But a new Triaxis goes for 2k, so quality rarely comes cheap!

Take care! :D

Haha yeah you're right about quality rarely coming cheap. It took me 8 years to play my first USA PRS and I've never looked back since. My Custom 24 is worth every penny I paid.

Did you run a power amp when using the GSP2101 or the Line 6, or did you run it straight into the mixer?

Latest posts

Back