2:90 or 2:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7enderbender

Reaction score
This is not a new question, I know. But I'm still looking for some audio and/or detailed description of the sound differences with a Triaxis. I wish I could try them out somewhere but there aren't any around locally.

I'm leaning towards the 2:50 for several reasons:

- 12lb less
- only 4 tubes instead of 8 (cheaper to experiment with EL34 tubes)
- likely a little less heat
- supposedly more neutral sounding
- no extra emphasis on the bass frequencies
- 200-300 bucks less used
- less power (always liked my 50w Marshall better than the 100w heads)
- no concerns in combination with a 2x12 cab equipped with G12T-75 speakers

BUT

then I read how much people like their 2:90 and how it was specifically built for the Triaxis, etc. It's a common combination and has more options. I think I'm on the right track with the 50w version since I'm not really looking primarily for a 100% in your face scooped metal sound. I've learned over the years to let bass player and keyboards do their thing and focus on the mid range and upper mid range. I don't like what comes out of V30 cabs (at least when I play them). So something more neutral that maybe saturates a bit earlier and can be tweaked with EL34s for more mid range if need be seems like the right choice.

I'm sure it's subtle differences anyway but for peace of mind I wish I could hear a good comparison anywhere.

I was able to get a 2:50 for dirt cheap. Will be picking it up next week. This should be interesting.

7enderbender said:
I'm not really looking primarily for a 100% in your face scooped metal sound.

The 2:90 is not a "scooped metal" sound. Yes it's capable of a beefy bottom end, but it's still a rounded tone. You are talking more of a rectifier sound which is rather brittle and grating (intentionally). The difference is that you can actually wind the bass back on the 2:90. It's a more rounded amp than the 2:50. But as long as you like your 2:50, that's all that matters.

Latest posts

Back