Mesa 2:90 help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stav92

Reaction score
My mesa 2:90 suffered the burnt filament plastic header problem on the PCB. I have taken mesa's advice and removed the header and soldered the wires directly to the main board. The amp is now working again which I'm happy with BUT I have noticed that the 4 power tubes on the RIGHT side are very dim whereas the left sided 4 tubes glow brightly. Could there be a lack of current to the heaters of the RIGHT side of the amp ?

Interestingly, it was the right sided green wire (which supplies the heaters) that got fried and the PCB hole looked a bit dirty/oxidized . I did not clean it as I had no contact cleaner at the time and just soldered it direct to the board.

Maybe I should take it back out, give the PCB hole a clean and re-install the wire ?? The amp sounds Ok to be honest, but the dim tubes doesnt seem right at all to me. Important to note that the tube brands are different. The amp came with Rubys and svetlana 6L6's in it so I don't know , maybe its just because the tubes are different ??

IMG_20140911_102551468_1.jpg

Cheers, I had planned on doing this today but didnt have the chance until now. Yeah its just the tubes ! The Rubys were bright, the svetlanas were dark. Both channels working all fine and sounding tight, defined, clear and super loud as always !

Latest posts

Back