What NOS tubes suggestions for Triaxis?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vipmetal

Reaction score
Hi there!

Please share your good NOS tube configurations for Triaxis V1-V5?

I currently have V1-V3: Telefunken ECC83, V4: Mullard ECC83 and V5: Telefunken ECC83.

I have a little stock of tubes which include European ECC83: Telefunken (10 pcs), Mullard short plate (6 pcs), Valvo (2 pcs), Philips Holland Heerlen (3 pcs). Japan: Raytheon 12AX7 (2 pcs) and American made 12AX7 RCA (4 pcs) and JAN GE (2 pcs). I also have GE 5751, ECC81/12AT7: Telefunken, Mullard, Brimar, JAN Philips and Sylvania E82CC tubes.

So I have this positive problem and I'm looking for some advice for you guys!

Here's the pic: http://muusikoiden.net/dyn/users/125990.jpg

dude awesome selection of tubes you have....try the raytheon in v1(do you have a blackplate)or the mullard shortplate...
my current set is v1-mullard,,, v2-jj,,,,v3-penta labs...v-4 tung sol,,,v-5 mullard,,,,,,this is my 33rd tube roll and so far the best sounding...
lately though i havent been playing the tri,rig as i have a MKv,,,,,all of the tubes int here now are all nos old tubes....rca blackplate in v1 sounds awesome..
tung sols sound awesome too...

Hi! Thank you, I've been having fun with finding good nos tubes across the planet. 8)

I believe that Raytheons are grey plate. Telefunkens are ribbed plates and Mullards short plate. I will try to put Mullards in V1 and V5 as you have done. I will have to try to get few american made Tung-Sols also. Maybe experimenting V2-V4 with Valvo/Philips/Telefunken/RCA and just see which ones seems to be best. I tried to put ECC81 / 5751 in the V1/V2 but I didn't sound as nice as Telefunken ECC83. But maybe I give them a shot...

I have Mullard ECC81 in 2:50 drivertubes. Sylvania ECC82 were too thin sounding for that. And GE 12AX7 as input tube on the power amp.

Have you put any NOS power tubes in a Mesa power amp? How about bias? I've been wondering is it safe or is it worth it as I won't turn volumes so up that they break into the overdrive...

havent been here in awhile............i have not tried nos power tubes in the 2:90 yet as that can get really expensive,,,right now there are jj 6l6gc in there,,,,the tone from them is fantastic,,the lows are awesome and not trebley at all.........raytheon do have blackplate 12ax7 i have one that is marked with the "baldwin" label..a great sounding tube... warm but not to high gain...

Back