Suggestions for speaker cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitar_gazza

Reaction score
Hi All,

Could I please get some advice on a Mesa speaker cabinet. I am about to go with a Triaxis and 2:90 power amp. Can anyone tell me what would be the best 2X12 Mesa cabinet to use with this set up?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hello Gazza,

If you want to operate both channels of the 2:90 you will require 2 cabinets.. or a stereo cabinet with a switch allowing you to drive each speaker with a separate channel...
(Mesa has this stereo option in the Rectifier 4 x 12 or Road King 2 x 12 cabs)

Here's some options...

OPTION 1 : [2] 2 x 12 Rectifier Cabs
I would choose the Rectifier 2 x 12 but [2] of those are really expensive and heavy :D
If you want to use a single 2 x 12 you can connect the 2 x 12 to the 8 Ohm output of Channel A and connect a load on the 2:90 Channel B.
Operate in Stereo from both channels of the 2:90

These cabinets a 60 Watts RMS, so, you could also use just one channel of the 2:90 by connecting both 1 x 12 rectifier cabinets to the 4 Ohm outputs of the 2:90 Channel A and connecting a load on the 2:90 Channel B.

This will allow you to turn up Channel A as you will have 120 Watt RMS capability.
Now you might need more stage volume if you are not using In-Ear-Monitors or if you are not micing your Amp in the P.A.... The best way to hear yourself better is to get the speakers up...and/ or do a side-wash if possible. (sound-guys will love you for this)

I mounted 2 speaker flanges to the bottom of my 1 x 12 cabinets to allow small stands to lift the speakers. I also always side-wash my speakers as I need to be able to access controlled feedback as necessary.

I know 1 x 12 cabs don't look as sexy as 4 x 12 cabs, but, its much easier to transport and move around small cabs and two small speaker stands.

We usually play with other bands, so, I set-up my two side-wash cabs and I let them set-up their stacks behind me so it looks like I'm running through their speakers :D

You can see those 1 x 12 cabs on stands at Stage Right in the below pic.

2b.JPG

PS: I am driving those cabs with 2 channels of a Mesa 20:20 Power Amp with plenty of headroom for solos and plenty of stage volume. There is an added benefit that the rest of the band can hear me and I dont have to show my butt to the audience when I need some controlled feedback. :D

I hope this helps

seeya

Joe

Thanks Joe. My restricting factor is the amount of room I have to set up in. A large portion of my work is in orchestra pits where real estate is a premium. I have to share the pit sometimes with up to 20 or more musicians. Thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into it. I am pretty much restricted to a 2 X 12 cab.

Thanks again, cheers,

Gazza

Avatar G212 pro tour guitar monitor. Stereo/Mono sounds great
I have this cab it's very nice sounding.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/Pro%20Monitors.htm

image.jpg

image.jpg

Back