VHT 2 90 2 vs Mesa 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backyardburial

Reaction score
I own a VHT 2 90 2, which I use with a Triaxis. A friend of mine has the MESA 2:90which he uses with a VHT Valvulator preamp. Basically he is interested in a straight trade for the power amps. I gather there is mixed opinion as to which is better, and it may all be personal opinion but I'd like to hear your guys though. I really only use hi gain sounds, so I'd like to hear about the functions on the 2:90 which can be controlled via the triaxis; I'm figuring some of these might be good for straight up low end thump (I'm mostly using 7 strings tuned to A). My only concern really is the mesa having 8 power tubes. I don't play all that much, maybe 2 jams per week and 2-4 gigs per month, so it shouldn't be THAT much of an issue I guess. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to hear a 2:90 first, there's none around here and this guy is about an 8 hour drive away.

I understand that really I need to hear it, but essentially I'd be doing the trade purely for the Deep/modern/half drive functions. If I just want maximum "chug" are these features likely to appeal to me?

EDIT: My friend owns the MESA 2:90......typo up above...

You should be able to find a video comparison of the two on the web.

I did, though it was some years ago.
I don't recall where exactly I saw it but it was likely on You tube. I know it was a Mesa 2:90, but not sure which exact model VHT amp. Both were driven with the Triaxis. Hopefully you can find it, or others, by now.

I do remember the Mesa had a "fatter" tone, which may be desirable if you want to get classic Mark series tones. I thought the VHT was "leaner", "meaner", and better suited for metal tones, more "Rectifier-ish". Just IMHO, of course.

But google it to see if you can find something to point you in the right direction. :wink:
Good luck!

I've listened to a few demos, but they never really give me that much of an idea. Interesting that you think the VHT was more "metal". That is pretty much what I'm after. Cheers!

I haven't heard the VHT poweramp yet, so I can't comment on that, but if you ask me, the Deep/Half Drive/Modern features aren't worth trading if you're happy with the VHT.

Maybe it's just my rig, but for me, half drive is the only semi-useful feature for adding a little juice to leads without having to re-tweak the tone completely (engage half drive and up the TriAxis master). Deep and Modern have been useless so far both live and in the studio. Deep just adds too much bass, makes everything sound soft/wooly and Modern makes most tones sound very harsh; together, they scoop the tone too much IMO. Kinda like adding two unnecessary extremes to your tone.

Only one side comment: you can get some great tones by combining the three, I found this works especially well on Lead 2 Red.

I'd say, if you can, try the 2:90 side by side with the VHT just to compare how the poweramps themselves sound; if you like the 2:90 better because of the tone, then trade, otherwise, the three voicing switches aren't worth it IMHO.

Thanks Jackie, that's very helpful. I'm working on hopefully getting up to him, or him down to me. I'd really like to be able to do it, but knowing my luck I'll love the Mesa and he won't like the VHT! This whole "too much bass" in deep mode is an issue I read about somewhere before. Assuming me and you play different styles I may actually love that mode, but in saying that, I don't feel the VHT is remotely lacking in bottom end anyway. I guess if it's not broke don't fix it. Meanwhile I'll keep looking for a local one I can try out. Even the Mesa dealers down here won't have one, and if they did there's no way they would let me bring my preamp in to try it....
Cheers again

Back