What will a Triaxis get me?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lreese

Reaction score
(Warning - random stuff)

Been a while since I frequented the forum....

I'm getting GAS again. This time to go back to a compact rack in Stereo.

I'm pretty much a Strat player - don't get into the heavy stuff, but have occasion to dabble with gainer stuff. My current kick is exploring 80s stuff.

I've got a few MB pieces - A Mk IV, Dual Recto (needs repair), A 50/50 (Also needs repair), a few Thieles and a spare MB EV.

I have this urge to build a small rack with an Eventide Eclipse. Want to go stereo. Compactness and neatness is also a factor. I love the Mark Series form factor, but at 80+ pounds and me in middle age probably going to result in me ditching the MkIV.

Wondering if I should be seriously considering a Triaxis. I think I can fix the 50/50 cheaply and I have a Rocktron 1U Velocity 300 solid state for power amps until funds accumulate for a 2:50.

What are your thoughts on the Triaxis? Any buying tips - I'm thinking new but I'm not adverse to buying used.

Thanks in advance.

New they are ~$2000. Used prices have crept up over the last two years from ~$700s to $1000 now (on eBay). I would buy used, just to not get the latest version of the lead 1 red circuit. I had the latest version, and lead 1 red was just unusable. I can't say any other version is better, but I'd sure like to think so.

While not as compact, the quad preamp will get you an assortment of mark tones, as will a studio preamp, for less money.

FWIW I am running my quad through a velocity 120 PA right now and find it more than passable. If light weight is your goal, give the velocity 300 a chance

I have a Triaxis with the 2:90 and it sounds great. I run it in wet-dry-wet configuration with stereo effects from 3 even tide stomp boxes. Doug West convinced me that the 2:90 is integral to the Triaxis tone.

If weight and size matter, you might consider the. Fractal Audio Axe Fx with a class D and some good flat pa speakers?

My Triaxis currently resides in a 5 space soft case rack bag with a Rocktron Inteli,fex, korg DT 1 tuner, a Boggie 20/20 power amp, and a furman PL8. carries easily over my shoulder with strap. I mostly use it with a pair Bag End Cabs that have Gaus 12"s in them. Not exactly a grab and go rig but far better than the 12 space ata rack case it used to travel in with the 290, which was a two man job. (my grab and go is either the deluxe or the TA 15.

I've loved the Triaxis from day one ( bought mine in 91), It gives me anything I need from country squeaky clean chick'n pick'n, Robert Quine Rockman clean to Santana, from edge of breakup Larry Carlton thru 70s over driven fenderish tones to Holdsworthian liquid legato Fusion . I love the recto mod on lead I red (No longer available?) haven't heard anything good about the current TX5 mod' have no desire to try it. I liked the original Lead ! red channel to, it was more marshally and at first didn't use the Recto channel mod after I had it done but I learned how to use it became my favorite most used mode.

Buying used is always a risk but that's what I'd recommend to get the recto channel and if anything goes wrong Boogie service has always been good to me.

Thanks for the info guys....

Somehow missed the last reply until just now... Relevant to my other thread. :D

I know I'll have more dumb questions soon. LOL

Latest posts

Back