Questions about stereo simul 295

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firmani99

Reaction score
I am thinking about picking one up with a quad pre that's on ebay. Can I run just one side of the 295? Or do I have to have a load on both channels? Any opinions on these amps? Thanks!

Hello Firmani

Even though Mesa says that you can turn the volume down and presence up on the unused channel, I wouldn't risk not connecting a load to a tube amp...

If you want to make one up, I recommend four 30 ohm 25 Watt power resistors in parallel connected to the amps 8 ohm speaker output. (Four 30 Ohm resistors in parallel is 7.5 Ohms)

att.jpg

Otherwise most manufactured amp attenuators, like the THD, have a load setting.

I hope this helps

Seeya

Joe

firmani99 said:
I am thinking about picking one up with a quad pre that's on ebay. Can I run just one side of the 295? Or do I have to have a load on both channels? Any opinions on these amps? Thanks!

Is there any reason the 295 could not be operated as this?:
Connect the output of your preamp (Quad, or otherwise ...) to one channel (A or B) of the 295's inputs. Connect speakers to that same channels output. Just leave the unused channel on Standby. You could also turn the volume down on the unused channel, but with that channel still on standby it's not necessary.

I believe that the 295 is the only Mesa Power amp that has a Standby switch for each channel... I wish that the others had the same as sometimes you don't need all of that power!

seeya

Joe

I have never just run 1 channel, always ran both on class A 30 watts. But I'm going to be posting mine on the boogie classified section. Mesa 295 and Mesa Quad with the FU-2. Quad was just retubed with all N.O.S. tubes the 295 Has all new power tubes. let me know if the Ebay thing doesn't work out. would even throw in a SKB shock mount 8 space rack.

Ricky said:
I have never just run 1 channel, always ran both on class A 30 watts. But I'm going to be posting mine on the boogie classified section. Mesa 295 and Mesa Quad with the FU-2. Quad was just retubed with all N.O.S. tubes the 295 Has all new power tubes. let me know if the Ebay thing doesn't work out. would even throw in a SKB shock mount 8 space rack.

Ricky, what are you asking for everything?

Back