Triaxis - Quad (Tone related differences)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sotosprince

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I have owned a Triaxis for 3 months and I am currently using it with the almighty 2:90 (the blue light version). I must say that I am more than impressed with the tones I can achieve. I mostly play 80-90's thrash metal and of course I am fond of that era's Hetfield's tone. That being said, I ve never had the opportunity to listen to a Quad and I would be grateful if somebody could please enlighten me on the differences (tone related) between that and a triaxis. Thank you!

Don't sweat the differences. Yes they are different, but you'll get as different results by using a different speaker or power amp.

I feel a triaxis is more compressed feeling, and felt to me like it has some recto flavor thrown in with the mark sound. I sold my triaxis and kept my quad..... If I wasn't emotionally attached to the quad, it could have gone the other way. Recorded, I am not sure I could distinguish between the two.
I will quote someone from the gear page, or some other forum: "the moment I stopped chasing tone is the moment it stopped running away." I know its cliche, but I stopped the buy/ sell game 6 months ago, and really couldn't be happier.

Thx a lot for the quick response! Yes, actually this is what I ve read on other topics.. The Triaxis sounds more compressed, but I don't know if this is a good or a bad thing. However, I ve just found someone who owns a quad here in Athens, so I guess I can give it a try tomorrow. Also, I agree with you on the sell - buy game....

So, today I had the chance to have a listen to the Quad + 2:90 pair. I must say that this must be the tone I 've been having for years in my head! Channel 1+tweaking+eq= Master of Puppets tone! After playing for 30 mins we then tested the Triaxis + 2:90 and I think JMMP's right. U get the feeling that the Triaxis is more compressed sounding than the Quad.... Somehow the Quad was like saying to me '**** yeah, I am old school Metallica!"

Do you have access to an external graphic EQ to try with your triaxis? I never got the chance to do it, but my understanding is the dynamic voice control is the source of some of the compression and such. Before chasing a quad down, I would audition an external eq in the loop or between your triaxis and 2/90. IMO the triaxis FEELS more compressed than it SOUNDS, and just trying that eq trick may be cheaper or easier in the long run.

Hey man, no unfortunately I haven't used en external EQ with my Triaxis. I'll try to use one before I decide what to do. The truth is that I think I 've fallen in love with the Quad and here in Greece these are very rare pieces of equipment... That guy is now selling it for 550 euros which is a very good price. I can sell my Triaxis for around 800 euros... Also, do you know if it's true the song "The shortest straw" was recorded using a Strategy 400 + Quad??? Yesterday I played some riffs of the AJFA album and the overall feeling I got was that I could get really close to that tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jogtuOhg6E&list=LLNSLpNAfrOR-MDQVJujRzNQ&index=2

Mesa just released a 5 band EQ. http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/boogie-eq-pedal.html
John Petrucci just recently switched to a Triaxis / 2:90 rig and has added this pedal to tailor his sound.

Well, I decided to buy the quad since they are pretty rare here in Greece. I haven't sold my Triaxis yet and so far I must say that I am impressed by the clarity the quad delivers. The previous owner told me that the tubes on Channel 2 are old and that makes sense since there is a huge gap in volume when switching channels, so that must me it. Anyhow I will be posting some of the differences between those 2 during the weekend.

Shane C said:
The Quad is a tonal beast.. Sold my Triaxis with no regrets!!

:mrgreen:

Shane
This is what I am going to do! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Try swapping preamp tubes in the Tri and 2:90. I find they made a HUGE difference in the TriAxis. I particularly liked EH for the Lead 2 channel and TungSol for Lead 1.

If you have JJs everywhere, try a different brand. Way too compressed and gainy for this kind of preamp (to be used for all positions), IMO.

I also play thrash and I find the TriAxis/2:90 combo to be perfect (left side) :mrgreen:

Jackie said:
Try swapping preamp tubes in the Tri and 2:90. I find they made a HUGE difference in the TriAxis. I particularly liked EH for the Lead 2 channel and TungSol for Lead 1.

If you have JJs everywhere, try a different brand. Way too compressed and gainy for this kind of preamp (to be used for all positions), IMO.

I also play thrash and I find the TriAxis/2:90 combo to be perfect (left side) :mrgreen:
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I don't like the various sounds I can get out of my Triaxis, but IMO I believe it sounds more compressed or sth like that. The quad sounds more natural and alive.

Congrats on the quad! I've owned 2 triaxis and 3 quads.. Sold the tris.All 3 of my quads sound different..I like my earliest version the best..couldn't be happier.

Thx a lot man! It just sounds so freaking tight!! I am currently trying to sell my triaxis...

Latest posts

Back