Thinking of selling rack gear

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricky

Reaction score
I'm thinking of selling my Quad, and 295 Power amp. It's the best sounding Amp. I've ever had but re-tubing is getting to be too expensive. Should I, or shouldn't I.

Only you can answer that. Quads are worth more now than they were a few years back (before 2011). 295s are only worth anything to those willing to retube. That's one reason I sold my 2:90.

My quad is my favorite Mesa product I have owned. And that's when I'm playing through a rocktron velocity 120 solid state power amp. My quad has had the same tubes since I got it in 2011, so I'm not worried about having to retube it too often.

I would keep it. You'll wind up wishing you still had it. You could maybe geta solid state power amp to run when you aren't to critical of your sound to save your power tubes and then switch to the tube power amp when you really feel like rocking!

firmani99 said:
I would keep it. You'll wind up wishing you still had it. You could maybe geta solid state power amp to run when you aren't to critical of your sound to save your power tubes and then switch to the tube power amp when you really feel like rocking!
Thanks, I might just do that.

I'd consider seeing if you can get a good sale value for the 2:95, and then finding a used fifty/fifty. Retube on the 50/50 is cheap, plus your rack will be lighter and potentially smaller. As for the quad, i have no experience with it, but I've always heard preamp tubes last forever - that has been my experience as well.

Got the quad back today, fresh N.O.S. tubes, fresh boogie tubes in the 295, still considering selling. Sound good though, I must admit.

Ricky said:
Got the quad back today, fresh N.O.S. tubes, fresh boogie tubes in the 295, still considering selling. Sound good though, I must admit.

Number one reason NOT to sell, IMO :wink:

Back