50/50 power amp + studio preamp vs express 5 50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyG

Reaction score
Hello!

Today I am using a koch multitone 50 but has come to the conclusion that I rather would have a 6l6 amp...

I tested a mesa boogie 5 50 express and really liked the way the clean channel sounded, but wasn't to impressed with the second channel..

But since I want a good clean sounding amp and also have a little dream about getting a stereo rig I am wondering if it is possible to get the same sort och clean out of a 50/50 power amp and with another preamp?
Maybe with a mesa studio preamp?

Or is it better to just buy a mesa express?

The thing I liked with the express was the smooth sound and the tight bass. I am mostly into fusion, like Holdsworth stuff.

I personally love my Studio Pre with 2 Ninety power amp. If you were going to go in that direction, what would you use for cabinets?

I think I will go with two 1x12 cabs, just to make it a little easier to carry :) but I haven't decided how to do yet, a friend of mine has a 50/50 that I am going to try, I guess it's best to try it out first :)

I use the 50/50 power amp with a pod HD pro as the preamp. The 50/50 does great with cleans. I have plenty of headroom, but it's still able to add a little character to the signal without deafening the audience. I'll probably keep the 50/50 as long as i'm playing, it just works and works well, can be had reasonably priced as well.

edit: i use two 1x12's as well, but also use a recto 2x12 as the base of my stack. That cab sounds so good I just had to keep it in service. The 1x12 cabs are 1. a newer Theile cab (sounds big) and 2. a mini recto 1x12 slant (sounds like you'd expect a 1x12 to sound, nothing special IMO). I run the mini recto 1x12 on it's own channel, so i can adjust its volume separate as my stage monitor, whereas the other two cabs are on the other channel and feed the PA (I mic the 2x12 as it sounds best)

Thanks for all the help!

I think though that I first am going to get a express 5 50, but I still want a stereo rig, It seems so cool! :)

AndyG said:
Thanks for all the help!

I think though that I first am going to get a express 5 50, but I still want a stereo rig, It seems so cool! :)

You could always get a second express 5/50 and run a splitter box in front for a beastly stereo rig! :twisted:

HRGplayer said:
AndyG said:
Thanks for all the help!

You could always get a second express 5/50 and run a splitter box in front for a beastly stereo rig! :twisted:

That would be really cool!

You know...I tried a 50/50 today and it was really amazing!

I think I go with a 50/50 first and maybe get a express later (if needed)

The only thing with that 50/50 is the fan...It is quite annoying, it sounds a lot...But I still thinks it's worth it! :)

AndyG said:
HRGplayer said:
AndyG said:
The only thing with that 50/50 is the fan...It is quite annoying, it sounds a lot...But I still thinks it's worth it! :)

My 50/50 had some rattling going on when i first got it - had to put some foam tape on some pieces that were vibrating on there. Was a pretty easy fix and it's much quieter now. Although the fan is still audible, not really bothersome. Wonder if yours has a similar issue?

[/quote]
My 50/50 had some rattling going on when i first got it - had to put some foam tape on some pieces that were vibrating on there. Was a pretty easy fix and it's much quieter now. Although the fan is still audible, not really bothersome. Wonder if yours has a similar issue?[/quote]

Thanks for the tip!
I will try that, when I hold my hand on the top it becomes quieter, so hopefully it will help a little bit :)

I will also put a toggle switch to the fan, to switch between on, half power and off :)

AndyG said:
when I hold my hand on the top it becomes quieter

Yup, that's exactly what mine was doing, same exact thing. I believe i ended up using velcro tape for the padding on mine on top of the transformers, since it's what i had laying around. Has not made a peep since!

Markedman said:
AndyG wrote:
HRGplayer wrote:
AndyG wrote:

New fans are quiet and quite cheap.

I called de local dealer here in sweden, it is quite ridiculous how much more expensive a fan becomes with all taxes! Mesa wanted 100 dollars for a new fan! I bought the unit for 300 and I don't think a new fan is worth so much...

Tried putting velcro today, it helped a little but I think it's something wrong with the mechanics in the fan, tried using 5-56 (same as wd-40 ) but it didn't help either...

I think maybe a new fan is the solution...

Just like to add my preferences here.

I have the Studio Pre + 50/50, both the from late 80s.
I use a 5751 in the clean gain section, and replaced the 12AX7 PIs in the 50/50 with 12AT7s. Night and Day. Couldn't be happier, it sounds richer and the clean channel has more headroom and the OD channel has more useable OD range to me (shooting for the Robben Ford type tone)

synaesthesia said:
Just like to add my preferences here.

I have the Studio Pre + 50/50, both the from late 80s.
I use a 5751 in the clean gain section, and replaced the 12AX7 PIs in the 50/50 with 12AT7s. Night and Day. Couldn't be happier, it sounds richer and the clean channel has more headroom and the OD channel has more useable OD range to me (shooting for the Robben Ford type tone)

Yeah!

Good to know, I must change preamp tubes in the 50/50, I think the original tubes still sits in it... Did you use balanced tubes? And use 12at7 with all three slots?

I went into a local electronic store here in sweden and managed to buy a fan for 4 dollars, quite big difference against mesa with 100 dollar.... Also installed a bias pot, I'm really happy with my setup now!

Stereo rack is the solution to everything! :lol:

Latest posts

Back