Multiple Preamp rack coming together (Triaxis&Recto Pre&???)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is there something Studio Preamp can give that TriAxis doesn't have?

• Yes, Studio Preamp has this sound that isn't on the TriAxis

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Maybe but they overlap each other so much that I won't recommend doing that

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • No, it would be just waste of money and back. TriAxis covers all the Studio Preamp can do

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Formula preamp has nicer cleans that TriAxis

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

vipmetal

Reaction score
Hi there!

I recently bought a nice Triaxis v. 2 preamp in addition to Recto Pre and 2:50 power amp. I'm planning to use them both with Rocktron Patchmate Loop8 switcher. Before I order new rack boxes I ask you my fellow Mesa friends, should I leave room for other preamps?

There's one Studio Preamp for about 350€ on a sale and I'm also thinking about Formula preamp aswell... Is there something that Studio Preamp can give more than TriAxis? How about Formula?

Here's my current setup (as planned):

Effect rack 4U:

TC G-major
Rocktron Patchmate
Pedal board with EVH Phase90, Xotic RC booster, Xotic BB Preamp, Fulltone OCD, Boss NS-2 and EHX Memory boy

Amplifier rack 5U:

Mesa TriAxis
Mesa Recto Preamp
Mesa 2:50

Should I keep my current 8U rack for the amplifiers, so that I could add Studio Preamp and/or Formula? Or is it just over-weight for nothing....

Thanks for any answers or comments/thoughts!

While they won't sound the same, the triaxis and the studio pre will cover the same ground. The formula preamp is pretty much known for it's cleans, which the triaxis does well IMO. I would say play what you have and figure out if you're missing any sounds, then reevaluate.

I have a good deal coming on a Studio Pre and I will try to compare it with TriAxis. One question:
Is it possible to use TriAxis switch outs for controlling Studio Pre/Recto Pre? It would be nice so that I would save Rocktron Patchmate loops for other purposes. Since I don't have 2:90 it would be cool to have some use for those switch jacks...

Latest posts

Back