290 with 6l6/el34 configuration: final statement after.....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello to all this post is comprised in a recent post I opened in the hope to be of help for those who own a 290 and are willing to try other tubes configuration than the 6l6 one. I suggest you read the past topic as well. here it is: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=65705

as per the subject, my final statement is done after an extensive research and amp playing

here's my final word on the matter.

I own a 290 pre 2000 production (blue pilot light). came with all mesa tubes, made a first change with Rubys (all 6l6) then decided to try a JJ 6l6/e34l configuration bought from an european vendor as a 290 kit. I have to say that indeed it sounds good. and I have done some research about this issue. Here's what Mesa Boogie it self replied after I enquired for the matter.

for better understanding I paste my question as well. in Italic Mesa's answer.

I own a 290 pre 2000 production and wanted to instal a 6l6/el34 combo on it. Marcus (Daniel) emailed to me a picture for tubes correct placement. While measuring with a multimeter the current passing from the 6l6 tubes we have measured something around 37 milliamps, while the current passing from the EL34 are only 10. Do you reckon this fact? The fact that the el34 have such low current means the amp have a sensible lower volume compared with all 6l6. The sound though is fantastic and as an advantage I can use the 290 at 12.00 o’clock letting it be alive. never couldn't with all 6l6 because of the outrageous power.

Thanks for all the help and advices you can give me.

Michael

Hi Michael,
Yes, those readings seem correct.

However, we are now recommending to not use EL34's in the 2:90 - as the filament current is higher than we would like to see for EL34's. We recommend ALL 6L6's...

Please let me know if you've got any questions or need assistance in any way. Thanks!

GN

I guess this sheds a definitive light over the thing. or at least, since Mesa comment can be considered being a party one, my final statement is the following:

the 290 can use both the configuration, all 6l6 or 6l6/e34l, both having advantages and disadvantages.

290 with 6l6
advantages: use of the 290 as it was designed - outrageous power (when there is a need to play in a coliseum)
disadvantages: as a guitar player, the majority of the times I had a gig I had to keep the volume at 10:00 oclock (at the most) keeping the 290 asleep, in a way, thus the sound is a bit slobby

290 with 6l6/el34
advantages: since my 290's el34 have a low current passing on them, the overall volume has decreased sensibly making the 290 able to be used at 12 o'clock thus making the 290 alive: now it sounds as it wants to sound!
disadvantages: a bit of power has gone so this can make the 290 not suitable to huge volumes. it can be used at higher volume than 12 but the early breakup can make it hard to achieve a crystal clean sound especially with humbucker pickups

the above mentioned statement is just my experience based on me ear and based, as said in my first post, on the measurement of the current passing from the E34L sockets.
I would be curious to know the measurement of the 290 owners with 6l6/e34l combo. In fact it is safe to say that I cannot be the only one having such low current passing from the e34l. I tend to say it is the amp architecture that does it. so the other 290 should behave the same, as Mesa guy stated.

all the best to everyone

michael

Thanks for taking the time to try all of this and post all the results. Mesa's reply is a bit of a head-scratcher, but hey, it's their amp.

One of the reasons I've been toying with a change from the 2:90 is that I too, never get it past 10 o'clock.
But, it sheds some new light on being able to properly drive it with 34's .......
Now, if only someone could do something about the weight ......

@ danimal: you're welcome. I'm glad I could be of help. of course Mesa plays his game with tubes, I guess

@ Lento: yes, the chance to play it at 12 o'clock is definitely a new sound experience! in addition to that, the use of the el34/6l6 configuration got me another critical advantage I forgot to mention. Prior to that because my 290 wasn't able to be played past 10 oclock, I was addicted to the use of the deep extent to get that punch on the sound.

though, while the deep extent sounded good, it raised my thump too much on the low strings (I use A regular tuning) to the point I couldn't do tight high gain rhythm work on notes like D or C#.

instead, with the volume at 12, the deep extent is totally unusable (way too much bass frequencies) but the amp without the deep as a more regular response to the low string rhythm: no exagerated thump or similar while maintaining a great bass frequencies coverage.

and as a collateral fx, since I don't use any extent on the 290, it has become so silent I couldn't believe (with the deep extent on there was a sort of permanent hum).

My tech wants to go back on 6l6 to check for differences in sound response. Guess the volume is raised with all 6l6. in this time though I'm about to start my 2014 tour, and since all my tones are done with 6l6/el34, I'm not too willing to do changement. so for now I stick to the axctual combination.

and overall I suggest the use of it, at least to have a more alive amp (due to the chance of raising the volume up).

anyways it goes, nothing can harm our amp, right?

bests

michael

Back