Triaxis/2:90 alternatives ....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lento

Reaction score
Currently using a Triaxis/2:90 combination into 1 x 12 EVM12L cab(s) and playing all styles (except Metal) but pondering on these alternatives .....
I realise the Axe/Matrix is a well-liked combo, just as the Tri/2:90, but I'm only looking at one of these two choices for now.

1/ Triaxis and GMajor 2 into a Matrix GT800fx or similar
or
2/ Axe Ultra into the 2:90

I'd be interested to hear any pros and cons of these if anyone has been there and done that ...

Thanks for any insights.

Hi Lento..........don't know if this can be of help but I try anyway.

I owned the Triaxis/290 combo for some years after which I came across the Kemper Profiling Amplifier. after 2 extensive months of testing, playing and confronting, I sold my axis and bought the Kemper. now I play it, at least in live scenarios, hooked to a 290 and from there to 2 2x12 V30 speaker. I have now the tone of my life!

I heard the Matrix amp is a great piece and it surely does sound good. basically the Matrix is the first choice with profiling amp like the kemper and the Axe FX. I read in the profiling amp forums that tubes power amp tend to color the sound too much, they mean the sound of the profiler. while it can be true, I have to say that the 290 did color my sound a bit but in the better way, at least for the tone I use (Steve Vai like)

One thing is sure though: the kemper or the axe fx cannot be compared to the Triaxis being two distinctive objects.
so that the Matrix cannot be compared to the 290 in no way!

to be honest, there is a lot more differences between the Matrix and the 290 than the ones between the triaxis and the profilers.

In fact I did profile my triaxis prior to sell it so to have my sounds back ;)

hope this helps

Michael

p.s.: if you are interested in knowing the difference between the axe fx 2 and the kemper, the kemper has a function for profiling an amp so that the user can profile what ever he/she wants by themselves while the axe fx 2 has the profiles supplied by the producer, so as far as I know axe fx 2 users cannot profile tones by themselves

I ditched the Triaxis/2:Ninety for the Axe-Fx II v12 Firmware. I'm done messing with analog gear. It's old technology that doesn't sound as good as the Axe Fx II.

MesaGod666 said:
I ditched the Triaxis/2:Ninety for the Axe-Fx II v12 Firmware. I'm done messing with analog gear. It's old technology that doesn't sound as good as the Axe Fx II.
Depends on how you use it.
If you're playing shows a lot or recording then it's the *****.
If you're like me and only play with buddies and an occasional bar gig then a halfstack is easier. Especially when the other guitarist plays a halfstack too.

I don't quite understand why you'd want an alternative for your 2:90/TriAxis combo. If it sounds good to you, then I say "why fix what's broken".

If it's too heavy, a Kemper with a profile of your sound would be a good alternative. Maybe even the one with a built in amplifier.

Latest posts

Back