Dead triaxis - first stage no sound!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l4mpi

Reaction score
Hello,

my first post in this forum is sadly not for a nice reason - my triaxis (v2 non-fat) which I own since just a few weeks stopped working somewhere over the holidays. More precisely, the LEDs etc. are fine, but the complete first stage seems to be dead and doesn't produce any sound at all. This doesn't seem to be affected in any way by the selected mode - all modes are equally dead :( But everything after the FX return is still working (plugging the guitar directly into the return produces a clean sound), so the problem has to be in the first stage.
I opened it up to see if I could find anything obviously wrong like a busted capacitor or a broken wire or soldering point, but I couldn't spot anything. Also, the tubes are still glowing - but afaik a single failing tube shouldn't bring down the whole thing anyways, right?

I'm currently contacting my local distributor as advised on the Mesa-Boogie website, but is there anything I can do with my very limited electrical engineering skills before giving the unit to a repair technician? Furthermore, does anyone have an idea what could cause a failure like this?

Thanks in advance!

My advice is to call Mesa. They are the ones that have the required knowledge to troubleshoot the unit. Good luck.

l4mpi said:
I opened it up to see if I could find anything obviously wrong like a busted capacitor or a broken wire or soldering point, but I couldn't spot anything. Also, the tubes are still glowing - but afaik a single failing tube shouldn't bring down the whole thing anyways, right!

WRONG

OK... but I'm pretty sure it's not the tubes, as I tested them one by one yesterday by plugging them into the V5 socket and checking the FX return stage output...

My advice is to call Mesa
I'm from Europe though, and the website explicitly states I should contact my local distributor (where I can't reach anybody right now due to the holidays). Also, international call fees are quite high :(. I think I'll write them a mail first and see how it develops.

Latest posts

Back