what would get me closer to a Mark IV lead channel?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Reaction score
I have a Fryette 2/50/2 power amp that I run with KT-77's
I miss my old Mark Iv but since I have a very good power amp I figured I'd throw this out here
Studio Pre
or
TriAxis.
which one of these two would be a better fit with the Fryette and which one would get me closer to a mark IV lead channel
type of tone?
I have no problem boosting or throwing an EQ into the lop of either one and I need it to perform at lower to moderate volumes I don't know if one is better than the other ...."not cranked".
I also have no problem just ditching the Fryette and getting a Mark Iv either.
thanks

IMHO the studio should get you closer. But closer is relative. I had a TriAxis, still own my quad pre, and have a mark IV. Are you going to perform with this rig? Is it just for around the house playing?

If you want to be absolutely closest in tone and feeling, the studio is probly a better route. The triaxis I had felt weird to play. Recorded, the tones of the Tri were very similar to that of the quad, albeit darker and with less harmonics. However, if this is for live playing, a Tri would be more fitting because of the versatility.
On another tone point though, the quad (and therefore likely the studio pre) sounds more vintage than a mark IV, whereas a triaxis has more of a modern sound.

The weak points of the triaxis are less noticeable if it has been awhile since you played a mark series amp, but they just don't respond the same in my experience.

If you aren't sold on stereo, i think selling your power amp and buying a mark IV is every bit as good an option. You may not feel complete until going back to that sound you miss, or you could find a different sound you like even more from the other units + your fryette.

For now this is just going to be for home use, but I may be hooking up with some people and doing some gigs in the near future.

Why doesn't the axe 2 plus fryette work? In my opinion, that should get you at least as close as the triaxis could, and if that combination doesn't, it may be the power amp that is messing up the tone you're looking for. Not saying the fryette is bad, but just not applicable to the tone you are wanting.

the Axe is cool and with cab IR's on through FRFR monitors it does great Mesa "imitations"
but when playing through the fryette something is just not right. I have a buddy who has a TriAxis and he says it kind of needs the 2:90 to really shine,
so it may be the Fryette that is the problem here. the Marshall based amp models sound killer through it, maybe I am going to need a 6L6 based power amp
or I'll be wasting my time.
As good as the Axe is (and has gotten ) it's still not the same as playing through a real mark IV or a real Recto.

Back