Quad preamp- noisy reverb.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spikenet

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering if I should be concerned about the noise of the reverb. While not overtly noisy, when Idle I can hear it humming yet set it to 0 the amp is dead silent.

Is this normal when on about a setting of 3-4?

thanks.

Hi,

This is true for all Quads of a particular production series. The position of the reverb tanks (there are 2 in the Quad) are too close to the mains transformers. The only way to sort this problem out is to remove the top tank and re house it in a seperate rack unit as far away from the main quad as possible - obviously with extended Grey leads.

Hope that helps !

I have 3 quads - two hum with ANY reverb setting beyond ZERO and one doesn't - I'm yet to investigate the exact differences in reverb tank positioning that effects this.

Cheers !

Ed

Ed,

Thanks for that info, sounds like they need shielding or as you suggest removing into a seperate case.

I'm looking at getting a G-Major or similar and running reverb with that soon so might remove the reverb in the Quad completely.

cheers,

paul.

Ed Pitman said:
Hi,

This is true for all Quads of a particular production series. The position of the reverb tanks (there are 2 in the Quad) are too close to the mains transformers. The only way to sort this problem out is to remove the top tank and re house it in a seperate rack unit as far away from the main quad as possible - obviously with extended Grey leads.

Hope that helps !

I have 3 quads - two hum with ANY reverb setting beyond ZERO and one doesn't - I'm yet to investigate the exact differences in reverb tank positioning that effects this.

Cheers !

Ed

Sorry for digging up this old thread. It's in the forlorn hope that somebody might have solved this.

I have a Quad which hums really badly with the reverb on. It's dead quiet without it.

Back