My Fifty/ Fifty is going to make me absolutely nuts...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey_truelove

Reaction score
I have not been using my 50/50 for quite a while, since it had some issues that could have had something to do with it having been submitted to force to one of the presence knobs. Ah well, I did have it replaced and fired it up yesterday. Sounded good and strong and I felt I was back-in-busines - hurrah! Tone came and went at the end, but as it did so on both channels I assume it was some bad connection in the pre-amp unit that feeds it.

Then today having rewired the pedals and the extension cables for the rack-amps I tried to fire it up, but the thing is stone dead. The pilot lamp is dead, the heaters of the valves does not fire up. Any ideas what may have happened? I will try and use other extension cords, but since the cable attached to the amp has been cut short unfortunately I don't think I can connect it directly to the mains.

Tried different ways to connect the thing but it's just stone dead. I think I'll measure the primary on the PT to see what would happen. Funny that it seemed to run so smoothly yesterday and today...

No, the thing has some connection broken internally or otherwise. Measuring the connector for resistance my gauge reads infinate ohms, so something must have gone bust or worked loose.

Will try and remove the unit from its rack to make an inspection and possibly take some photos of it, as you suggest. But I've smelled nothing burnt and when I put it in quite recently nothing was out of the ordinary visually.

Edit: Just took it out. Nothing funny looking about it from what I can see. Solderjoints seem intact, no sooth or anything carbonised, internal sockets are all in place. Any particular section of the amp to be depicted in a photograph?

Triaxstasy said:
...just to rule out the (often forgotten) obvious: did you check the fuse?? 8) 8)
Cheers mate! It's brand new, so I had no reason to doubt it - at least I thought not. As it happens that very same suggestion came up during dinner w. my dad, so I measured it and turns out it may be the culprit we're looking for. Will keep you people posted should I still fail to suss this baby out.

No prob....guess we´ve all been there ;-)

The pilot lamp is one of the first things in chain after the power comes outta your wall and into the 50/50 power cord. Before it gets to the internal tranny there´s only the pwr on switch, the fuse, the pilot lamp, the fan, a varistor and a 2k7 7w resistor (< for the 220/230/240v export models)....
Check your PMs ;-)

Back