Triaxis: Do you use the Dynamic Voice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All. I just bought a NOS V2 triaxis with the Rectifier circuit. So far, i'm liking the sounds but i would like to add a little low end. I tried the Dynamic Voice but even on 1 it scoops out too much of the mids for my liking (even if i put the mids quite high). I realize that this is not a plug and play instrument so i would like to learn from others with more experience. Is there any way for this to not remove all the mids from my tone?

Here's a tip. Don't use the Dynamic Voice. I could never get the tones I wanted from the Triaxis alone. You should get a graphic eq. I got a DOD 31 Band Graphic EQ and it's great! You can shape the Triaxis anyway you want. I highly recommend it. Set the DV to 0.0 and put the EQ either in the Triaxis' FX loop or right after it. Here's the one that I use. It's well worth the $129.99.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/DOD-SR831QX-31Band-EQ?sku=180108

Also, what are you using for a Power Amp? The Mesa/Boogie 2:90 Power Amp is designed for use with the Triaxis and has 3 special modes that can be used with the Triaxis, one is a "Deep" switch which gives you a deeper tone.

+Mike+

I'm using a VHT 2:90 and it has a depth control (on 10). You think an external EQ is the answer? Do a lot of people do this with the triaxis?

I use very little dynamic voice (below 4) on my settings, but I don't take it all out. Use your ears as you dial it in.

I do use and e.q., but I generally use it subtractively, to remove bass frequencies below about 80Hz. I realize it sounds counter-intuitive, but I swear by this technique. I find the bass to be more responsive and less mushy/flubby if I remove those frequencies. This leaves more space for the bass player, too.

Though I know some people ridicule BBE's Sonic Maximizer, I use one to clarify my overall sound. It is not an e.q. device, by the way, but is a time-based effect that helps compensate for phase-cancellation, thus removing murk. It adds tight, punchy low-end much better than the Dynamic Voice does, in my experience.

- T

Maybe i'll try an external EQ und experiment. I just thought too many things in the signal chain was a bad thing. With the EQ, will i still retain the clarity in my tone? Any tips on using an external EQ?

I know James Hetfield has used an EQ in the FX loop with no DV and you can't argue with his tone lol.

I use my EQ to dip some of the mids (not scoop) and boost a little of the highs. Also, if I'm using my ovdersized Mesa 4x12 cab I'll cut some of the bass frequencies. Offhand I think they're 80, 100 and 125. I agree with Timbre Wolf that this makes the sound tighter.

You should experiment all the time. Experimenting never hurt anything. I mean, if you have 20 non-truebypass pedals all hooked up infront of your amp, of course you'll lose tone. With just an EQ added you should still retain the clairity of your tone. It all depends on how you set it. As far as using one, just hook it up in the Triaxis' FX loop and fiddle around.

+Mike+

but here's my question when adding a grahic eq to the triaxis.....i am a programmer.... i love to create different kinds of sounds ranging to all out metal to laid back bluesy sounds etc.....I have concerns about adding an eq to the rig and having it set up one way and it not sounding good overall....and i understand that i could place it in the fx loop and only use it where necessary and here's the kicker....while i love owning a triaxis I'm not real fond of the sounds I'm getting out of it.....the lead 2 yellows are pretty killer but i have trouble getting good tight punchy sounds out of nearly all of the other distorted channels......most of them sound real "mushy" to my ears with almost no definition or they are too "crunchy" in a brittle kind of way.

to help some of you understand even further, what I am looking for but having trouble getting out of my triaxis is this....here are some of my favorite recorded guitar sounds of all time;

extreme- 3 sides to every story
van halen- fair warning
dokken- under lock and key
andy timmons- resolution
cry of love-brother
styx-pieces of eight

I am not naive and understand that these folks have many vintage amps and all kinds of mics and cabinets at their disposal and I don't necessarily want to "mimick" their sounds but I love the above mentioned tones for straight forward rock and roll...i also love eric johnson's and david gilmour's tones but understand that they are primarilly strat induced etc....and i dont play a strat.

i have a digitech gsp 2101 that I have used for years in the studio and love the tones I have squeezed out of that thing...i mostly used my triaxis live but now I am trying to use the triaxis in the studio as well and it seems that unless i am going to be recording completley clean sounds on the rhythm green or the next metallica album that the triaxis is struggling to meet my tone needs.....anybody got an opinion on this?

one last thing, if you want to hear some samples of the tones I have used recently with my digitech gsp 2101 you can go to the link below and download some mp3's to hear for yourself....i am fairly happy with those tones and you can hear they have some mids in them...but when i try to get that mid out of my triaxis it just doesnt sound good to me. any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

http://www.musicexe.com/wisdommp3.htm

tonesofhome7578 said:
Maybe i'll try an external EQ und experiment. I just thought too many things in the signal chain was a bad thing. With the EQ, will i still retain the clarity in my tone? Any tips on using an external EQ?
You'll lose a little signal integrity with each successive device, if you listen carefully. But some are much better than others, and the loss can be quite insignificant, especially for a live rig. I listen deeply to my gear's sound and response, yet I'm fine with using the eq on my Replifex for subtractive tone-shaping I described.

I use the subtractive eq after the Triaxis; pre-Triaxis eq will behave differently.

- T

masque said:
while i love owning a triaxis I'm not real fond of the sounds I'm getting out of it.....the lead 2 yellows are pretty killer but i have trouble getting good tight punchy sounds out of nearly all of the other distorted channels......most of them sound real "mushy" to my ears with almost no definition or they are too "crunchy" in a brittle kind of way.
Might want to consider which preamp tubes you're using in the Triaxis. Stock Boogie pre-tubes don't lend themselves to providing solid, chunky lows, in my experience. Here's a little help, to get you started, if you wish.

- Thom

tonesofhome7578:
Maybe some sort of MIDI controlled graphic EQ is in order. I've never looked any of them up so I have no idea about any of them.

+Mike+

tonesofhome7578 said:
I put JJ's in when i got it.

If you read Timbre's post he doesn't really go into many currently made tubes. It would be worthwhile for you to read the posts as it may be a possible solution for your problem.

phantomlord2oo said:
tonesofhome7578:
Maybe some sort of MIDI controlled graphic EQ is in order. I've never looked any of them up so I have no idea about any of them.

+Mike+

Behringer makes/made a couple and I think Mark Tremonti uses them. Take that with a grain of salt because I think his tone is pretty bad.

disassembled said:
tonesofhome7578 said:
I put JJ's in when i got it.

If you read Timbre's post he doesn't really go into many currently made tubes. It would be worthwhile for you to read the posts as it may be a possible solution for your problem.
No, I don't dwell on current-production, simply because I find most new-production options to be sorely lacking. And for the same money, one can buy "used" old tubes that have better performance and greater lifespan. Believe me, though, I've tried many new-production (Chinese, JJ, Ei, EH, Sovtek, etc.).

The only new-production 12AX7 I can stand are Ei (only the ultra-rare non-microphonic sample) for its bright clarity, and the Russian "Tung-Sol" also for its clarity, but with big, solid bass and good high frequencies that are a bit rounded off (not harsh).

- T

If this is your first EQ you should probably get something that has faders. Alesis makes a cheap stereo 31 band eq you could try. I suggest getting a mono EQ and putting a Y cable on the output.

Back