rack setup help

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neilstar

Reaction score
hello all,

heres what i got so far, need some help for best way to set up for channel changing and controlling the effects,

1.mesa midi matrix , unsure what version,
2.mesa quad pre amp , midi capable version,
3.tc electronics g Major 2,
4.mesa strategy 500 power amp
5. mesa abacus foot controller

going to add a power conditioner and a rack wah at some stage,

any help or suggestions will be much appreciated

cheers Neil

Try it like this:

- guitar to midi matrix input
(here, you will want to run pre-quad effects in loops 1 - 4 of the midi matrix. )
- midi matrix loop 5 send to quad input
- quad effects loop output to midi matrix loop 5 return
- midi matrix loop 6 send to G-major input
- G-major stereo outputs to midi matrix loop 6 stereo returns
- midi matrix outputs to strategy 500 power amp inputs

Also, you will want to use the channel switching features of the midi matrix to control the channel selection of the quad. Wire the 4 channel swithcing outputs of the midi matrix to the 4 channel select inputs on the quad.

With the quad, the 4 channels are in parallel, so you can have more than one channel on at a time. (For example, you can get a huge lead sound using both of the lead channels at the same time)

One note: You may be able to use the abacus directly into your quad, depending which version of the quad you have. If your quad has the abacus input, and you don't need the midi matrix for other pedals, this would be the best way to go, as you would not need the midi matrix at all.

I had a couple midi matrices in the early 90s, but found them somewhat flakey... I am surprised there are any around that still work. The quad and the Strategy 500 is a monster setup... With the right speakers, you can play a coliseum with that! Good luck with your setup.

thank you for your input, help, i much appreciate it,

i will try some of those ideas soon, and let you know how it goes, i have not used the matrix yet so im hoping it still ok,

yes the quad and strategy 500 is definetly a monster rig, i have it plugged into 2 mesa quads loaded with vintage 30's, seperated one each side of a room

rolling thunder ,, cheers Neil

Back