Quad Guitar Preamp: Can I get Metallica/Lamb of God Sounds?

Triaxis, Quad Preamp, Stereo Power series, Recto Preamp

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned

Littleb
Mark III

Re: Quad Guitar Preamp: Can I get Metallica/Lamb of God Soun

Post by Littleb » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:58 am

Im on my 3rd quad pre and its the best one ive owned by far..its one of the first 100.I run it into either or all 3 of these power amps and its the tone of God...not to be confused w/ L.O.G.Image
MkIVB&Sat,IIIColi,IIC+,Diezel Herb,BE100,Bog20th Shiv&XTC,SLO,ElmwoodM90,66"Prince rvb,3Mesa4x12s,4Diezel4x12s,2x12s,Bog fish,SoldX88R,CAEse3+,Badcat Pre,Quad pre,Jmp1,TC2290,Gsyst,Tri ch,VHT2150,Classic,Marsh100/100,Mesa500,

Friedmett
Mark II

Post by Friedmett » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:19 pm

I got a 220 Voltage Quad.

Serial: 1879

Dates inside on the reverb tank: 5-12 90 GM and looks like Hank 5-4 90 too along with some red line KP v.

How early is it?

wezzley
Mark II

Post by wezzley » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:38 pm

i've had my quad for about a year now, it's awesome and versatile. sounds great and feels great/responsive to play.

Metallica sounds and mesa (mark series) sounds in general are not difficult to dial in. to sound 'exactly' as song 'x' on album 'y', you're gonna need more :) double tracking guitars, good recording equipment, plenty of EQ etc.

my quad is from august 1988 (and ignore the eq on channel 1 ;-) )

Mesa/Boogie JP-2C | Diezel VH4 | Fractal Audio Axe-Fx 2 | Mesa/Boogie Road King II | Mesa/Boogie Mark V | Mesa/Boogie TriAxis 2.0 (tx4d) | Mesa/Boogie Quad Pre | Marshall JMP-1 | ESP KH-II (1997) | EBMM JP6 (2008) | Gibson Les Paul Std Plus (2003)

norskmetall
Donating Member

Post by norskmetall » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:46 pm

I am very satisified indeed with my Quad. There is as always a steep learning curve, but I can definitely get the 'Tallica sound from it!

Not to get off the tread;

According to the now legendary recording notes form F.Rasmussen from MOP and AJFA sessions, the settings seems to be a bit different from what I am hearing when I replicate them...

On my Quad (channel 1), having the Volume on 9 and Treble at 7 (pulled) and Lead Gain at 6, the total amount of gain is far too much, at least for rythm tracking !!

Could it be difference in the tubes ? That tubes nowadays have much more gain ?

It seem to get better when I lower the Volume to around 8-7 and the Treble to 6-6,5 and the gain at 3-4 when the Treble is pulled. But I also sense that the Treble Pull Shift makes it sound less "hetfieldesque".
As far as I have experienced, leaving the Treble knob pushed in, you can raise it up to 7 and also the Volume again to 9, to make up for the gain loss of the Treble Shift when pulled. In this way I found it to seem more focused, tighter and also darker.

What is your experiences with tube gain and the treble shift knob??
Last edited by norskmetall on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skoora
Mark II

Post by skoora » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:02 pm

But didn't they also use Furman EQ's in front and possibly after. Also didn't they slave the IIC's into Marshall head's power sections? So to really get that sound would take quite a bit but I find the character of the sound you can definitely get from the preamp alone and I'd rather keep it simple and fun and it's close enough for when I want to bust out 'tallica type riffage.

norskmetall
Donating Member

Post by norskmetall » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:24 pm

skoora wrote:But didn't they also use Furman EQ's in front and possibly after. Also didn't they slave the IIC's into Marshall head's power sections? So to really get that sound would take quite a bit but I find the character of the sound you can definitely get from the preamp alone and I'd rather keep it simple and fun and it's close enough for when I want to bust out 'tallica type riffage.

yeah, I forgot to mention: I have a very good and transparent 3-band paramtric EQ from the Loop Send on the Quad preamp, and then to Loop Return of a Road King (using all the power tubes 4x6L6+2xEL34). It makes it near identical sounding. Try for instance a Presonus EQ3B EQ, it will work fine!

And, to be honest, I guess I am a little obsessed by nailing those guitar tones :D

firmani99
Mark III

Post by firmani99 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:07 pm

MesaGod666 wrote:Don't listen to these guys. It's impossible to get Metallica and Lamb of God tones from a Quad preamp. Instead, sell that Quad preamp to me for $100 bucks and we'll forget the topic even came up.

Haha hysterical.

skoora
Mark II

Post by skoora » Sun Apr 27, 2014 2:14 pm

Hate to say it but my Studio pre has not been turned on since I got my MKV a little while ago.

Darktone
Bottle Rocket

Post by Darktone » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:48 pm

Having owned the a Quad preamp/295 Stereo poweramp along with a Mark III, Mark IV, etc, just be aware that Hetfield and Hammett used Parametric EQ'S with their MarkII C+'s to get that chainsaw/scooped mids sound on Master of Puppets and AJFA stuff. A parametric EQ allows one to CUSTOMIZE the low, mid, and high frequencies of your sound with great flexibility by allowing you to zone in on those frequencies and enhance or dimish them to your liking. The graphic EQ alone on a quad, Mark III etc won't be enough to get that EXACT tone. Moreover, one must also take into account what kind of speakers you are using which comprise at LEAST 60-70% of the overall tone of a rig no matter what style of music you are playing. This CANNOT be overlooked. A lot of people get disappointed with their amp tone due to the wrong choice of speaker employed. I have learned this the hard way and I hope others will chime in on this very important point. Further consideration must take into account the kind of guitar and pickups used. I am NOT saying you cannot APROXIMATE that kind of tone, but I am saying that MORE is involved in getting that tone than just using the preamps/amps alone. Of course, there is also the element of mixing and MASTERING in the studio to further polish the sound which you're are not going to get by just plugging in and playing no matter how great the amp might be. Just my 2 cents here. I am sure others could and can elaborate more here like what kind of speakers do these guitarists use etc.

ReverbIsANoun
Mark I

Post by ReverbIsANoun » Sun May 11, 2014 6:49 pm

sonofrocketscientist wrote: Post subject: Quad Guitar Preamp: Can I get Metallica/Lamb of God Sounds?

I highly suspect the reason might be, you've become too good of a guitar player for music like that.