TriAxis thin sound! Need HELP!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, guys! Can you help me with professional advice about TriAxis? I have it for 5 years now and last year I faced with some problems with it. First of, my LD1 channel ruined. There was no sound at all when I tried to play on that channel. I thought maybe the problem is tubes and switched from my Mesa tubes in TriAxis to russian-made Svetlana 12AX7 tubes. After that my LD1 channel became to sound like thin clean pushed channel even with hi gain settings.. :cry: In other words, not as it should sound. So, on the last week my RHY channel start to sound thin and there's no meat. :? Do you know what's my problem? Maybe, this is tubes? Maybe I need to put Mesa tubes? Thanks. Also, there's no way for me to send it to Mesa pro custom service. Thanks.

You don't have to go with Mesa Tubes, but there is almost certainly something wrong with the tubes you have. It might be only one or two of them, but it might take you a while to sort out which one(s) are bad. You could try swapping your tubes around and using the FX send as your output instead of the normal outputs - when you do that, the last tube (V5) is not in your circuit, so if you try every tube in the V5 position and your tone is ok with one of those combinations, you'll know which tube is bad. If you have more than one bad tube, it gets very tricky to diagnose, you really should just order a new set. After 5 years, it's about time you changed them anyway. The Mesa set is ok, but there are others you could try. You could get a set of JJs (Eurotubes). The benefit of getting them from Mesa or Eurotubes is that they test them before them send them. If you buy tubes yourself, you won't know if there are any bad ones.

If it's not tubes, it could be anything. One thing that is very common to break down is the output pot (the A/B volume knobs). Try moving it around very forcefully through its full range of travel. Might move some dust that is blocking the circuit. You could try using the record outputs to rule this problem out though.

Best of luck. Hope that helps a bit.

could be anything. Most tube amp problems are tube problems.
Another thing the TriAxis is known for is the ribbon cables needing to be re-seated inside of the unit.
Otherwise it could be a bloated component internally or something that would need to be repaired.

Try the tubes, if the problem still exists.. call Mesa.

I had something similar with my Triaxis last year on the Ld2 modes....turned out it was a resistor on one of the tube sockets (either on V2 or V4, don´t remember exactly)

Look for my other posts in this forum, I had the same problem with my LD1 Red channel (only).

After MUCH hair pulling and weeks at guitar tech, it turned out to be an LDR. Replaced it and my LD1 Red is back!
If you need help let me know.
If your symptoms are happening to all modes in LD1 then the solution wont be the same as mine but could be a similar component elsewhere in the circuit.

Latest posts

Back