Low Amp to go with a Triaxis

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D2dark

Reaction score
I recently get a triaxis and I don't know what power amp get.

I had a old Crown D60 to test it out, so far, it's sound so much in your face that it's almost too much.

Do you think it will sound better with something like a 20/20??

Or a 50/50 ?

Probably. The Crown D60 is a full range hi fi audio amp. While these work with guitar pre amps they are not really voiced as such. You'd probably find any tube guitar amp will work better. I've run mine through a Randall RT2/50 and now a Mesa 2:90 and loved both of those set ups.

Peace,
Joshua

The 50/50 will provide more "balls" while the 20/20 will give more attack and aggressivity, but with less bottom.

D2dark said:
I'll go for the 20/20 then , the triaxis as so much low end.

What makes you say that? If you've been running it through a HiFi amp, it will not give a realistic impression of the Triaxis at all. A HiFi amp will exaggerate bass and treble. The Triaxis itself is no more bassy than any other hi-gain amp. The power amp is a bigger factor when it comes to depth. The 20/20 is pretty low on bass response compared to the bigger 2:90. The main reason to get a 20/20 is to keep size and weight down.

The crown just a normal power amp, with a " flat" freq. response.

I think I will prefer the 20/20 because I have a lot of low end form my cab ( Marshall 2888 with greenback) and the triaxis can deliver probably more then i will ever need. If I even want more bass, I'm gonna switch back to the crown and sell back the 20/20.

D2dark said:
The crown just a normal power amp, with a " flat" freq. response.

I think I will prefer the 20/20 because I have a lot of low end form my cab ( Marshall 2888 with greenback) and the triaxis can deliver probably more then i will ever need. If I even want more bass, I'm gonna switch back to the crown and sell back the 20/20.

The Crown is a HiFi amp and not a good partner for a tube preamp. It's not a tube amp for starters - that means you have to be careful about cooking the input. The Triaxis has a very hot output. With a tube poweramp you can push the input pretty hard without cooking it. HiFi amps have, as you say, a flatter frequency response and a wide frequency range. A guitar power amp is more targeted to the frequencies that guitars use. It is more biased towards lows and mids. a HiFi amp will go both lower and higher than a guitar power amp. You can look at a guitar power amp as being better "tuned" to the Triaxis than a HiFi amp.

You have already tried the Triaxis with the Crown and you didn't like it. Why would you consider it again as an option? The 20/20 is a nice amp, but it can be a little thin sounding - depending on the music you play.

ando said:
The 20/20 is a nice amp, but it can be a little thin sounding - depending on the music you play.
But you can consider a deep mod on the 20/20 whenever you're not satisfied with the sound.
I personnaly love it with all LD1 modes on the TriAxis, so much attack for old school european punk ! :twisted:

I recently picked up a triaxis and I'm using it with a Matrix GT800 power amp. Something else to consider. I wasn't sure how I would like it because it's not tube, but so far I have zero complaints, it sounds great!

Back