2:90/TriAxis on Lead 1 Red (no Fat) and Recto - how close?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jackie

Reaction score
I was wondering the other day... how close to a Recto tone (Red channel modern lets say) is the TriAxis? I played a Reborn last summer, and going by memory, I tweaked my current Recto settings with the new preamp tube cocktail (V1 TungSol, V2 EH, V3 Sovtek 12AX7WA, V4 EH, V5 Sovtek 12AX7WA), and I must say it's pretty close to that thundering, thumping, clear and punchy Recto tone. 2:90 with Deep&Modern, Presence halfway up, but it NEEDS at least 10-11 o'clock on the Main level (Master 5.0 and Output 6) to shine.

Anyone else (ideally a Rec owner) got a really good Recto tone out of their TriAxis(/2:90) rig?

My 2.0 Triaxis with Recto board has the fat mod. It's my understanding that Lead 1 Red is trying to emulate the Orange Vintage channel from a Dual Rec. I just had my Triaxis worked on and recalibrated by Mesa and I pair it with a Coliseum 300 power amp(which is two triple rectifier power sections with deep, modern, and half power options switchable).

Having compared the Triaxis/300 setup to my friends Dual Rec a few things stand out -

1. We were able to set the Dual Rec to have smoother "grind".

2. With Deep and Modern engaged on Triaxis/300(Lead 1 Red = Gain 6, LD1 Drv 8, Treble 6, Mid 8, Bass 6, Pres 5, Master 5, Output 5) the bottom end and mids were similar to Dual Rec.

3. Triaxis/300 pairing could also do sounds closer to heavy modded Marshall amp territory than a Dual Rec can.

4. If you need the exact Dual Rec sound, buy one.

5. If you like the Mark sounds and want an approximate Dual Rec/Heavy Marshall sound go Triaxis with appropriate power amp.

I also have no problem with the fat mod. I use Lead 1 Red for heavy, crushing rhythms and it isn't flabby sounding at all. My favorite Triaxis mode is Lead 2 Green, very close in sound to my Mark IVB.

THTH said:
5. If you like the Mark sounds and want an approximate Dual Rec/Heavy Marshall sound go Triaxis with appropriate power amp.

That's exactly what I bought the TriAxis for :lol:

Isn't the 2:90 poweramp based on a Mark IV power section?

Jackie said:
but it NEEDS at least 10-11 o'clock on the Main level (Master 5.0 and Output 6) to shine.

That starts to be very loud but yes, the recto sounds on the Tri start to really sing at louder volumes than the Mark tones :D

Jackie said:

Nope, the 2:90 was revoiced to a slightly more modern tone, the 50/50 was the last of the Mark-ish rack power amps. In fact the 2:90 tends to sound more scooped and "soft" (if you get what I mean). A real good test would be send the Tri into the Power section of a MkIV and do a side-by-side.

About the Dual, I'm still not able to tell how far the Ld1R on my Tri is from a real DR but, with similar settings, my Recto sound on the Tri tends to be more crunchier, definite and articulate meanwhile the DR tends to be more flubby (on the low end) and frizzy. Probably it's good to say the Ld1R on the Tri sounds more like an heavy modded Marshall.

bluestometal said:
Jackie said:

Nope, the 2:90 was revoiced to a slightly more modern tone, the 50/50 was the last of the Mark-ish rack power amps. In fact the 2:90 tends to sound more scooped and "soft" (if you get what I mean). A real good test would be send the Tri into the Power section of a MkIV and do a side-by-side.
Actually, the 2:90 IS VERY related to the MKIV power section as it operates in Simul-Class, the same poweramp structure as the MKIV. Half power in the 2:90 puts the amp in Class A only, just like you can do with the Mark's. I believe it was designed specificaly for the Tri-Axis to compliment the Mark-ish tones.

The 50/50 is a Class AB amplifier, and not at all like the MKIV's power section.

Dom

domct203 said:
bluestometal said:
Jackie said:

Actually, the 2:90 IS VERY related to the MKIV power section as it operates in Simul-Class, the same poweramp structure as the MKIV. Half power in the 2:90 puts the amp in Class A only, just like you can do with the Mark's. I believe it was designed specificaly for the Tri-Axis to compliment the Mark-ish tones.

The 50/50 is a Class AB amplifier, and not at all like the MKIV's power section.

Dom

My bad, I was talking sound-wise only 'cause I'm not into tech, I should've specified, sorry :)

bluestometal said:
Probably it's good to say the Ld1R on the Tri sounds more like an heavy modded Marshall.

If you ask me, Lead 2 Red sounds like a heavy modded Marshall... I have one sitting right next to my Mesa :D

I managed to get a great "brown-ish" sound out of Lead 2 Red with all the voicings engaged and some generic EQ.

I think the Lead 1 Red I mixed up sounds very much like the Reborn, since it's big as hell, but more chest pounding and brighter than I'd expect from a Rev G Recto.

Settings:
Lead 1 RED
Gain 6
Treble 6.5
Mid 5.5
Bass 6.5
Lead 1 Drive 5.5
Master 5
Presence 5
DV 0 (sounds like bassy toppy crud if I add it)
Deep&Modern engaged

bluestometal said:
Probably it's good to say the Ld1R on the Tri sounds more like an heavy modded Marshall.
I can make Lead 1 Red sound similar to a heavily modded 1972 Super Lead I had during the 80's. That Marshall was incredibly loud and heavy sounding. It would just destroy other amps, how I regret selling it.

Jackie said:
If you ask me, Lead 2 Red sounds like a heavy modded Marshall... I have one sitting right next to my Mesa :D
It can depending on how it's set. Lead 2 Red was supposedly modeled after the Mark III, but when we compared it to a Mark III Red Stripe it sounded different, more like a modded Marshall. Less fluid sounding and more edgy.

Back