FX in conjunction Triaxis and 2:90 question...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PG13

Reaction score
I'm looking for opinions to this question: I currently us my FX looped thru the Triaxis and it seems OK. I've read that putting the FX between the Triaxis and 2:90 is another option. Would any of you care the share the positives and negatives of each configuration? My Triaxis currently at Mesa for a major overhaul and I thought this might be a nice time to change things up when I re-rack the unit.
Thanks!

This's a whole question debated endless times and, I can assure you, it will hunt you down as long as you'll use the Triaxis.

Now, speaking of the Fx route:

Using the Fx loop:

-Pros: you can phisically bypass the fx unit turning the fx loop off (on per-patch basis 'cause you cannot turn it off/on via midi). The tone may feel more tube-like having the signal passing through V5 tube. If you use the recording out you'll have the processed signal in it.

-Cons: having to pre-program each present to have the Fx loop on/off. The signal may clip in the Return stage (depending by the kind of Fx unit and setting). You loose the spill-over of delays and reverbs when switching from a Fx-on preset to a Fx-off preset. The tone and volume difference between Fx-on and Fx-off presets may be a pain in the *** to get rid of.

Using the Fx unit between the Triaxis and the Poweamp:

-Pros: more freedom in programming. Less cables. Avoiding the possible clipping in the Return stage. More uniformity in presets volume and tone. Delays and reverb spill-over.

-Cons: the whole sound get ever processed through the Fx unit. You cannot bypass the Fx unit if needed. Depending by the Fx unit the tone may feel less tube-like and more digital.

Aside those obvious things the only real thing you've to care about is your hear: play more, experiment, try different combinations and, when you get something that sound best to you, stick with it 'till you find something better. I think the real use intended for the Fx loop was about the recording out and, maybe, for using non-programmable units. I use a G-Major for the Fx, I've used it in series between the Triaxis and the Poweramp before, now I'm using it in the Fx loop and I'm sure I'll use it in series again when my needs will require it.

Bluestometal: Thank you for taking the time to address this. I agree it's a "tomato - tomaahto" thing as you stated. I appreciate your clear and easy to understand observations. Thanks! I think I may keep the FX looped and forego the ability to spillover certain FX.

I don't think listing delay/reverb spillover issue as a con for the loop, but a pro for the non-loop is valid. If you run it after the preamp, you can't call that switching between loop/non-loop presets anyway. All presets will be sent through the effects unit, so they are all "wet". You may as well leave it in the loop and program all your presets to use the FX-loop. It works out exactly the same in reality.

One more note.

FX Send -> FX box -> FX return
Preamp Out -> Amp in
This allows adjustment of FX signal level, and gives additional gain POST FX.

FX Send -> FX box -> Power Amp in
This allows adjustment of FX signal level, but does not have additional gain between FX and power amp. If the power amp has enough internal gain, no problem. If you can't get enough volume with the 2:90 turned all the way up, you'll want to use the main out of the TRI.

Tri Out -> FX -> Power Amp In
This gets you that extra gain, but the signal may be too hot for the FX box. You can use the Tri master volume to adjust that, but may wind up a bit too low into the power amp

Each of these will have a different tone. It has very little to do with whether or not you follow the FX with a tube stage. It is because the interaction of the output impedance of the FX send or main out with the input impedance of the FX box, as well as the impedances of FX ret vs. amp in.

The FX Send has 1uF and 5.6k Ohms in series as an output impedance.
The FX Ret is a little more than 50k Ohms to GND as an input impedance.
The main outs are as high as 25k Ohms output impedance at max volume.

Combined with the FX box input and output impedance, these act as filters. You'll want to try them all to see which you prefer. None is "better" in an objective sense, but they are all "different".

I solved my issue with unity gain when FX loop is on/off for the same preset by diming my GT-6's output level knob and adjusting the overall level with the Patch level parameter in the unit itself. It also seems to make the GT more transparent, but that's just me probably.

The FX Send has 1uF and 5.6k Ohms in series as an output impedance.
The FX Ret is a little more than 50k Ohms to GND as an input impedance.
The main outs are as high as 25k Ohms output impedance at max volume.
Thanks for that great info !

I run everything between the TriAxis and the 2:Ninety via midi preset switching.

Guitar > TriAxis input > TriAxis outs > Line 6 Mod Pro > Eventide Time Factor > Eventide Eclipse > 2:Ninety > 2 - 4x12 Mesa cabs

The Lonestar and Mark V.. I use the fx loop.

Brian

Latest posts

Back