Quad pre, TC Electronics G-Force and Rocktron All Access ?'s

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark III Madness

Reaction score
Hello!

I have used my beloved Quad pre with my Simul-Stereo 395 for years. I have recently acquired a TC Electronics G-Force. I know I can use the effects loop or just plug the outs of the Quad into the G-Force.

I wanted to ask you folks with some experience with hooking a stereo effects unit up to a Quad pre, what works best for you?

I also wonder for those who do use the outs from the Quad into a stereo unit, do you just use output A, or both outputs A & B? It seems a little silly to me to bother with using both outs when the Quad is a mono device. But, I know I could be missing something.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

I think I found it. A single out from output A to the G-Force. G-Force to power amp. It is a simple set up, but I think it will serve me well.

Now I just need to figure out a good midi pedal to use... Hmmmm.....

I think the recommended way is to run both outputs from the quad into the G (major2 in my case) then to the power amp then two outputs to each side of a stereo cab or two cabs.

I was able to get some great pitch shift sounds by making a different pitch on each side of the cab.

The whole point of the stereo amp is to run stereo isn't it? More wiring though.

I did hook the G-Force into the power amp in stereo. But, I just sent the input of the G-Force a mono feed from the Quad.

I need to get a midi foot controller now so I can have more fun with the G-Force and use my old midi octopus to change channels on the quad!

Mark III Madness said:
Hello!

I have used my beloved Quad pre with my Simul-Stereo 395 for years. I have recently acquired a TC Electronics G-Force. I know I can use the effects loop or just plug the outs of the Quad into the G-Force.

I wanted to ask you folks with some experience with hooking a stereo effects unit up to a Quad pre, what works best for you?

I also wonder for those who do use the outs from the Quad into a stereo unit, do you just use output A, or both outputs A & B? It seems a little silly to me to bother with using both outs when the Quad is a mono device. But, I know I could be missing something.

Thanks in advance for your insights!

Interesting... I was just getting ready to plug my GForce into my Quad fort the 1st time. My natural assumption was to use the EFX loop (that's why it's there, right?). But, being the dweeb I am, I pulled up the manual from Mesa's site. It says:

"EFFECTS LOOP: The effects loop in the Quad is a Stereo loop with a “mono” (or single) send and
“Stereo” (or two) returns. It is equipped with a "Low Level/Line Level" switch that makes for easy
interfacing with virtually all effects. When using floor pedals or "inexpensive" rack effects, "Low
Level" position would be correct. When studio quality rack effects are in use, the Line Level
position will probably be better suited. Most of today’s rack mount effects incorporate a similar
switch so make sure the switch on the Quad coincides with wherever your effects headroom/input
level control/switch is set.
Another popular way to interface effects with the Quad is to use one (or both) of the main out jacks
as an effects send. By using this set-up, you gain a little more flexibility with the effects input level
because the "Output" Control(s) located on the lower right corner of the front panel become
"effects send" level controls as well as output volume masters.
For best results, set your lowest stage volume at about 3 1/2 on the Output controls and your first
effect so it has about 30% headroom left. Then set your highest stage volume about 5-5 1/2. This
should increase the volume 20% as well as raising the input level of your effects about the same
amount. Different effects may require slightly different setting but this should be close. If more
adjustment is necessary, adjust the last effects output control of the power amp input attenuator."

As far as input to the GForce, there is no reason to send it a stereo signal from a mono pre. It will give you stereo output in either case.

So, what is the EFX loop for???

So I've got a Rocktron All Access and I've got it 95% programmed. But, I can't figure out how to make the 'instant access switches' not be affected when I change presets. Can anyone help me here?

Thanks in advance...

You should be able to store (save) the on/off status of your IA switches in each All Access preset the way you want them to be when you change presets. I know you can do this on the Midimate and GCP. Can't imagine why the AA wouldn't.

Right on. I am using one of the instant access switches to trigger the effects bypass. I want to be able to change presets and not have the instant access switch change from wherever it is. Hmmmm...

On your comment of quad output-mono to g-force input mono,..There are a few more ways of making things even more interesting in the stereo spread..If you have an early version quad,the output a and b will sound different(due to its ch a and b tone knobs working differently).Mesa designed it that way.Run those 2 outs to the gforces 2 ins, and mike separate cabs for some killer tones...weve done this in the studio and it sound great.

Howdy,

I highly recommend using the FX send rather than the main outputs.. the difference will shock you! and with the main outputs the louder you turn it up the harsher it becomes.

Littleb said:
.If you have an early version quad,the output a and b will sound different(due to its ch a and b tone knobs working differently)

Littleb, are you referring to the pull deep knobs? eg. Channel 1 Pull Deep only works on Output A and Channel 2 Pull Deep only works on Output B. I haven't noticed any other differences.

Shane

go with the Fx loop, its made to take effect and it will make our sound go true the fx tube, it do make a difference in the sound and less noise in the chain.

what you did is perfectly fine. just dont turn it up too high that you'll 'clip' the input of any effects connected to it. you can also use the second volume as a 'master volume boost' by connecting both outs to an a/b pedal or a midi looper. i do this with my quad because i'm so used to my recto having a switchable volume boost.

Latest posts

Back