Mark-O-Recto update

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbone

Reaction score
OK so the Mark-O-Recto project is finally moving forward. I found a nice big rack recently, a Mesa Sus-4 with 22 spaces w/front/rear rack rails. I've been moving things around a bit but I think I'm going to roll with this configuration for a little while. I don't have the wiring all pretty yet, that can be the next big project but everything is at least operational. So I added in my Dual Rectifier rackmount using a THD hotplate as a load box and then slaved it out so it goes to the TC G-major and then the Mesa 295. 
That rack dwarfs even my oversize recto cab but its nice to have the Quad knobs high enough that I can interact with them easily. 
This project is all about the knobs. It's been alot of fun putting this gear together and now I get to have some fun with it : )

Edit: 
Here's some more details on the rig and signal chain.

Guitar into HGAS (Mesa high gain amp switcher)
HGAS sends to
Quad 1
Quad 2
Dual Rectifier
HGAS returns from
Quad 1
Quad 2
Dual Rectifier
HGAS mono out to Rocktron HushUltra (Hush is Midi controlled per preset),mono output to TC-Gmajor and stereo out to Mesa 295
So I am running a stereo FX rig. 

I do have the option of using the parralell  A+B input on the 295 and using left mono output from TC G major if needed

Mesa 295 has presence knobs and 
Choice of ....
Class A 30 Watts a side EL34
or Simulclass 95 Watts side EL34
& 6L6

All the preamps are using the same FX processor.

GCX #1, 8 tip/ground switches
Quad 1
Rhy1
Rhy2
Lead 1
Lead 2
EQ 1
EQ 2
Quad 1 select on HGAS
Quad 2 select on HGAS 

GCX #2, 8 tip/ground switches
Quad 2
Rhy1
Rhy2
Lead 1
Lead 2
EQ 1
EQ 2
Dual Rectifier select on HGAS
Dual rectifier channel select

Voodoo lab ground control
Sets midi settings for Fx and Hush
Selects GCX loop/switches for controlling HGAS, Quad functions, dual rectifier channel.
Build your presets based on your choices and assign them to floor board however you like.

The steps to that are the following
Select preset to edit say 05
Hit edit button .
1. G-Major2- preset# select
2. GCX-1 loop select, 
tap on buttons 1-8 to select loop/switches 
3. GCX-2 loop select, 
tap on buttons 1-8 to select loop/switches 
4. Label preset
5. Assign preset location on board
Save to "05"  confirm.

Switching functions. So when you activate a GCX switch a light appears on that loop switch on the front if the unit. And in this case a light turns on for every function on the quad, dual recto,or HGAS  which is nice because you can see its working.

OK so you may be wondering why I would possibly need 2 Quads. 
My thinking with the two Quads was to eliminate the tone control sharing and most importantly the channel input volume sharring which greatly effects the personality of each channel and its potential gain. That means getting a crystal clean tone on channel 1 RHY1 and a super high gain lead tone  on Channel 1 Lead1 can be challenging depending on your needs.
So my solution is to use the two Quads like one but to split up the channel duties into respective camps as follows.
Quad 1 channel 1 RHY1 clean clean, Input Vol 4 ( I am using output A on Quad 1 which gives me the pull deep function.)
Quad 1 channel 2 RHY2 dirty clean, Input Vol 5
Quad 2 channel 1  Lead 1 , Input Vol9 Also higher Treble setting for gain.
Quad 2 channel 2 Lead 2 Input Vol9.5  Also higher Treble setting for gain.
( I am using the FX send as my output for Quad 2 for its more aggressive  raw nature. )
And of course you can use the EQ's
however you like because you have one dedicated to each Rhy1,Rhy2, Lead 1,Lead 2
So basically 4 mark channels covering clean , dirty , lead melody and lead rhythm with no compromises. At least that's the idea and we have all those lovely dials to tweak.

I am also using a Dual Rectifier Rackmout set to Vintage High Gain "Orange Channel" and Modern High Gain Red Channel.
The Dual rectifier has its own power section (amp) so I needed to use a load box device to safely allow me to tap a line level signal from this amp without risking damage to the unit. For this task I am using a THD hot plate 8ohm Attenuator.
So I have a speaker cable from the 8ohm jack on the Dual Rectifier connected to "Input from amp" jack on the rear if the THD Hot Plate 8ohm model. And the front dial is set to "Load". I am using the slave output on the recto as my line out which returns to the HGAS.

markorecto004.jpg

markorecto005.jpg

amijealous? Totally! :twisted:

You built my dream rack, but instead of 2 quads, I'd run my Mark III + quad. I bet that thing is so beast!

How are you running the whole rig? W/D/W? Mono 1 channel at a time? Stereo 1 channel at a time? So many amazing options!!!

Showoff! :mrgreen:

It looks awesome and that must be fun playing around with. The only problem is like you're saying trying to reach the knobs comfortably. I suppose one could have worse problems. :lol:

Rack of Death.

That would cause death,rebirth..and death again. 8)

Holy moly. You are insane, man. More power to you, but you are just off the deep end.

If you're just soaking the power section of the Recto anyway, why not get a Recto Preamp instead? Although I hear those rackmount DRs are special.

Whoopysnorp said:
Holy moly. You are insane, man. More power to you, but you are just off the deep end.

If you're just soaking the power section of the Recto anyway, why not get a Recto Preamp instead? Although I hear those rackmount DRs are special.

Well the only item I had any reservations about was slaving the Recto. I wouldn't want to accidentally have something unplugged and risk damaging the unit. But I figured I would give it a go anyways.
I would like to compare the dual recto rackmount with the recto pre at some point.
The Dual Rec slaved to the 295 takes on some interesting changes.
More mids less subterranean lows which I basically expected.
The Red channels Modern High gain sound leans a bit closer to the Mark III zone of tone, still recto but different.
The Orange channels Vintage high gain has a real nice lead tone through the 295, it's creamy and smooth in a good way.

You're probably not going to discover all of the tones in this lifetime with that set-up! :lol:

So,'Tallica fan eh? They've had similar refrigerators to lug around, too. :lol:

Neptical said:

It's very telling that John Marshall went directly from being Metallica's guitar tech (and James' occasional stand-in) to being Mesa's in-house rack guru. :lol:

Neptical said:
You're probably not going to discover all of the tones in this lifetime with that set-up! :lol:

I'm more of a casual Metallica fan. They have done some great stuff over the years though. You knew the scene had changed when they arrived. Monster guitar rhythm tone.
They definetly have some sweet fridges.

The genesis of this project for me was more of a curiosity about where the Triaxis evolved from and that led me to the Quad which I had never tried and reading on this board made we want to scratch that itch. Once I got that I wanted a better way to control it which led me to the voodoo lab GCX and ground control. I've allways dug rack equiptment and decided there was really nothing stopping me from just going for it. Honestly I have no real need to move this equipment around (at least right now) and I have a Triaxis 2:90 G-force AllAccess rig which would be my portable option if needed. Rack gear is also a good way of consildating allot of gear into a nice Tone station instead of junk scattered all over the place (room) So I took my time and started gathering pieces I wanted. I read Scott Kahns Modern guitar rigs book as well which is a great reference for building any guitar rig. It's fun to see it all work.

dbone said:
Neptical said:

I'm more of a casual Metallica fan. They have done some great stuff over the years though. You knew the scene had changed when they arrived. Monster guitar rhythm tone.
They definetly have some sweet fridges.

The genesis of this project for me was more of a curiosity about where the Triaxis evolved from and that led me to the Quad which I had never tried and reading on this board made we want to scratch that itch. Once I got that I wanted a better way to control it which led me to the voodoo lab GCX and ground control. I've allways dug rack equiptment and decided there was really nothing stopping me from just going for it. Honestly I have no real need to move this equipment around (at least right now) and I have a Triaxis 2:90 G-force AllAccess rig which would be my portable option if needed. Rack gear is also a good way of consildating allot of gear into a nice Tone station instead of junk scattered all over the place (room) So I took my time and started gathering pieces I wanted. I read Scott Kahns Modern guitar rigs book as well which is a great reference for building any guitar rig. It's fun to see it all work.

I was going to ask you if we should ask who you REALLY are? Bwahaha. :lol:
But I must digress--it's all good, if you're happy, you're happy..f*ck us all right? :lol:
You have infinite tones on tap that'll keep you busy forEVER!

FWIW--If you really want to consolidate ALL of that into a more simplified rig some day, I'd invest in the Mark V. You'd be just as happy with that ONE head--on a 'ferreal' note.

8)

I played the Mark V and loved it.
What can I say other than I just decided to roll old school : )
It's just some classic Boogie gear I wanted to get to know.
Allways time for different Boogie latter.
Tien at the factory was cracking up when I kept bringing in these different pieces for a factory tune up. I had quite a few good discussions with him and a nice factory tour as well as meeting
Mike Bendinelli. I just don't get that kind of interaction at the average retail store.

dbone said:
I played the Mark V and loved it.
What can I say other than I just decided to roll old school : )
It's just some classic Boogie gear I wanted to get to know.
Allways time for different Boogie latter.
Tien at the factory was cracking up when I kept bringing in these different pieces for a factory tune up. I had quite a few good discussions with him and a nice factory tour as well as meeting
Mike Bendinelli. I just don't get that kind of interaction at the average retail store.

Nice! I've been wanting to get to the factory for a tour. That's got to be fuggin' cool...and to meet Mike B...
2.gif

When can I stop in Fairfield to jam on this rig?
18.gif
8)

Back