2:90 EL34 on half the amp...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOOLGUY

Reaction score
I have a strange question.
I am currently running my 2:90 on one channel (due to a faulty "A"side that I can't afford to get repaired).
I would like to try the 6l6/el34 split.
According to eurotubes, I need to run the 34s in the outer sockets (old 2/90).

I was going to try and save a buck by only buying two el34s to run in the side I am currently using (being the other side is not working correctly anyway).
Do you guys see any problems with this?
Should I pull all power tubes from the unused A channel before I try this?

I guess my next question would be.
Should I be pulling the tubes from the unused side anyway to save on tube wear and tear?
Thanks.

Toolguy: Did you ever get an answer to this question? I have some E34L's coming in today from Eurotubes and have emailed Boogie twice for an answer to the same question without a response. My thought was that I could have two sounds from one power amp if it could be run this way but I may like the E34L's so much it won't make any difference. I love the 6L6 tone a lot but have always wanted a Marshall crunch too so am experimenting.

Thanks,
Hunter

Thanks for the response! Are you confirming that I can run E34L's and 6L6's on one side and straight 6L6's on the other at the same time? Or are you saying that I can jsut run one side if the other is turned down? I have E34L's in both sides now and it cranks but I liked it the other way too so would like to get the best of both worlds if possible. The JJ E34L's are a lot fatter than I expected and are close the 6L6's, probably moreso than the straight EL 34's would be. I'm going to have to dial everything in again and see how much I like the E34L's as they are cool but I'm not sure yet. If I could run it with two different channels then I could have a mix of great tones.
Thanks,
Hunter

Excellent, thanks. I love the 6l6's and will probably return to them eventually but have always wanted to try the el34's when I found out that it could take both. This is one fantastic power amp no matter which tubes are in there though and I marvel at how awesome it sounds every time I fire it up with my Triaxis. Both of them together have settled me down on an amp for the first time in more than 20 years and I don't see them going anywhere else anytime soon.

Back