Boosting a Studio Preamp

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mboogman

Reaction score
So I've got a Barber LTD overdrive that I typically use to boost my amps, set for very little gain, lots of volume, and the tone control cranked pretty high. Up until recently, I was using it to boost a '79 Marshall JMP, and it sounded fantastic. Not so much with the Studio Pre. I just seem to get more noise, and a little more saturation, but I don't get the same "tightening" effect that I can get with the other things I use it with. I tried adjusting it to add a little gain, and less volume, but it doesn't seem to get me where I'd like to be. What are any of you guys using to boost your mark series amps and preamps.

Nothing. My Quad has plenty of gain, and the Studio Pre, MkIIC+ modded even more, should have too !
But I used to put a TS-808 in front of the Quad, it tightens bass a little bit, but the sound was harder to tame, and less "open".

I used an OD808 to boost my SP, which is my go-to boost. Worked great. For fun, I boosted it for a while with its own main out tube stage.

Guitar -> Buffer -> FX RET
Main out -> Preamp In
FX Send -> Power Amp In

I would occasionally use a ts9 but now just boost via eq.or volume with the gm2 for solos and such.

I also think the pre (at least mine does) has a TON of gain on tap and is not real happy trying to stuff more drive into it.My pre without the gate on is very noisy and super annoying with a boost in front of it. (I could probably use a re-cap though).

mboogman said:
So I've got a Barber LTD overdrive that I typically use to boost my amps, set for very little gain, lots of volume, and the tone control cranked pretty high. Up until recently, I was using it to boost a '79 Marshall JMP, and it sounded fantastic. Not so much with the Studio Pre. I just seem to get more noise, and a little more saturation, but I don't get the same "tightening" effect that I can get with the other things I use it with. I tried adjusting it to add a little gain, and less volume, but it doesn't seem to get me where I'd like to be. What are any of you guys using to boost your mark series amps and preamps.

Yep that sounds about right.

I love Marshall amps and Boogie amps - but please remember they are very different animals. Many Marshalls need a pedal to goose them over the edge but most Boogies definitely do not need an OD pedal and in fact I reckon it'll just get in the way.

Some of those great OD pedals were designed to fix issues with Fender and Marshall amps and most probably just belong on the shelf with your Boogie.

But then again Mesa/Boogie's can benefit from different pedals - for example I have a Dual Recto 2ch it has no reverb so I use a Nanoverb. Or I have a Subway Rocket and it has no graphic EQ (only a Contour switch) so an external EQ and reverb can help. I also have a Mark IIC+ 1x12 combo, it has a really great rhythm channel, Boogie crunch - think Metallica/Nirvana/Dream Theater - and of course a thick fluid solo sound BUT its reverb completely sux! ... So you get the picture right - every good amp can do with a bit of help but it's gotta be the right kinda help.

On the Studio you should be able to dial up great clean, rhythm and lead tone - but it's definitely different to a Marshall and cannot be treated in the same way. Forget the Marshall completely and start again.

Happy dialling bro.

PS - I sold my Studio to buy a Quad preamp - big mistake - some quad's might be awesome but in my case I'd say my quad=great, my studio=greater but every amp is different so who knows?

I hear ya. I've got everything dialed in so nicely right now. Switched over to the lead channel the other day during practice, and man, it was just there. The perfect amount of crunch and sustain for what I was needing, but the articulation was incredible! It's actually got me thinking about getting a MK III to take the place of my VHT 2/90/2 power amp. But would that be too much? I think not!

elvis said:
I used an OD808 to boost my SP, which is my go-to boost. Worked great. For fun, I boosted it for a while with its own main out tube stage.

Guitar -> Buffer -> FX RET
Main out -> Preamp In
FX Send -> Power Amp In
Buffer? I've never heard of a "buffer", anybody? Has anyone else tried this and found it good?

I recorded my leads on my old band's demo (using the 'recording' outputs of my 1990 Studio Pre into a Tascam DP-008) with an MXR Distortion+ in the effects loop (output at full, distortion at 9:00) and it added a unique sound. Different to my main rhythm tone (vol ~8, Master ~8, Treble ~8, Bass 0-3, Mid 0-3, Lead Gain 10, Reverb 0, Lead Master ~2; GEQ 80Hz ~middle, 240Hz slight cut, 750Hz full cut, 2400Hz boost, 6600 ~ on midline) but quite subtle.

If you read some of Elvis' posts, he fully explains the benefits of buffers. Please check that out.

Anyway, I run a buffer in front of my Studio Pre because I've got about 15' of cable. The buffer maintains those highs that I would lose, which I think also helps my bass from flubbing.

So far as cap jobs go, my Studio Pre recently received a cap job; and it sounds absolutely divine.

So far as tubes, I'm running 12AX7s in V1, V2, & V4. I've got a 5751 in the V3 (lead slot) to keep the lead from getting out of control. And the 12AT7 in the reverb spot.

I've noticed the same thing with my studio. The amp just sounds better without the OD's I've played with in the past.

In what way did a cap job improve your studio? I'm preparing to have mine done and I'm pretty excited to hear it.

Latest posts

Back