reverb off
lead volume at 8
lead master at 2
bass slider at 1/2
midbass slider just under 1/2
mid slider at 3/4
high mid slider all the way up
the high slider at 3/4

I'm wanting to accomplish keeping the clean channel actually clean without any break up. But it's still breaking up some. I'm running a boss eq pedal infront of the amp with it looking like a frown. it's really not as thick as i would like and it has the highs screaming, but i'm getting more saturation than before. what are some of your settings on the sp....?

dbone
Donating Member

Re: mesa studio preamp... need more saturation

Post by dbone » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:26 am

As an exercise I would start by just shooting for the best high gain sound you can get out of it first. I'm a quad owner but I think what I state below will hold true, based off my channel one on the quad.

The first volume is a common gain input volume for both modes ( clean and lead ). Turning this volume dial up drives the input stage tubes harder. When dialed to higher settings in conjunction with the lead drive is where you should start to find the higher gain tones you are looking for.  
Try this.....
Volume 8
Master (sets clean output level out to power amp) set to balance sound output. See notes below on lead master
Treble 8 adds additional gain at higher settings 
Bass 2
Middle 6
Reverb 0
Lead drive 8
Lead master ( sets lead output level to power amp, also you would adjust this and the clean "master" to set relative volumes in relation to each other, think of these as post circuit output levels ).

Use the five band to fine tune your tone.

So the Achilles heal of the whole deal is that the first volume knob is the gain input stage for both clean and lead and getting a balance of high gain vs "clean" cleans can be well.... tough if you lean on the extremes.
If you turn this volume down your cleans will start to sound better but your gain tones will suffer. 
Similarly I would next dial your best clean tone by lowering the first volume, and the treble. To find a balance you'll need to meet in the middle somewhere and see if that works for you. If not you could....
boost type pedal like a OCD pedal turn the gain down and volume up and adjust tone to tastejust like the others mentioned  or something like it to substitute the hotter input signal needed for the gain channel. You'd have to experiment with this and see how this works for you.

If you happen to be using a loop switcher like a voodoo labs GCX and ground control you could have that OCD loop active on whatever presets you want to assign it to.
Then your not toe tapping more than one button for a channel change.
Triaxis V2.0 Recto nonfat
Mesa 290 Blue EL34/6L6
High gain Amp Switcher
88 Quad Preamp
89 Quad Preamp 
Simul 295 Stereo
94 Dual Rectifier Rack
Blue Angel 1x12 Combo
Mark V 1x12 Combo
Recto 4x12 straight slant cab V30's

toolshed
Mark I

Post by toolshed » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:18 pm

i am using a 16 by 16 switcher so i can program pretty much anyway possible. I could even put the od pedal after the preamp if i desired too or infront of the preamp.

does anyone else have a problem with presence.... It seems like my presence isn't what it normally is on just a regular head situation. would tubes help that?

r_cod_81
Mark II

Post by r_cod_81 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:53 am

Toolshed - my settings are very similar to yours apart from the first two and the GEQ. I have my rhythm volume at 8 (the highest it gets without the clean sound starting to crackle) and the Master at 6.

I don't have any gain devices in front of the amp, only a wah which is not on for my standard rhythm tone. I suspect the GEQ is pushing the front end too much which is why your rhythm volume and master settings have to be so low. To get the saturation I want I have a parametric EQ in the fx loop and have the Lead Fat sitch ON.
Richard Codling, Edinburgh/Newcastle, UK

Guitars: Jackson, Charvel, Dean
Amp rack: Studio Preamp, Behringer PEQ2200, Marshall 8008, 2x12 cabinet
Pedal board: Wah, Tuner, MXR (Dist+, Flanger), E-H chorus, Boss Delay

www.facebook.com/LiveBurial

toolshed
Mark I

Post by toolshed » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:27 pm

dbone, I tried your settings and pulled the geq under half.... it made a huge difference. I think i was running the geq way to high. I also have added a boss eq pedal infront of the amp. It's sounding pretty good. still needs some tweeking, but it works great for now. Do any of you use the recording outputs instead of your main outs. I 'm wondering if it sounds different, what's your results?

r_cod_81
Mark II

Post by r_cod_81 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:56 am

I use the recording O/Ps for direct recording and the main out for running to a power amp/speakers. The rec. outs are a bit darker and so I boost the 6600 GEQ slider a bit.
Richard Codling, Edinburgh/Newcastle, UK

Guitars: Jackson, Charvel, Dean
Amp rack: Studio Preamp, Behringer PEQ2200, Marshall 8008, 2x12 cabinet
Pedal board: Wah, Tuner, MXR (Dist+, Flanger), E-H chorus, Boss Delay

www.facebook.com/LiveBurial