2:90 simul class repair question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maelzoid

Reaction score
Help needed....

My Simul Class 2:90 stopped working a short while ago. The power appears to come on, and the LEDs out front light up. The unit responds to switching from my midi pedals (via a triaxis which controls manual switches in the 2:90) but no sound, and the tubes do not warm up.

I lifted the top off to have a look and what I saw was this.

P1010351.jpg

Can anyone shed any light on why this part melted.

Can I simply replace the connection and carry on?

What do you call those plastic connectors anyway - I can't find one online to buy.

Any help greatly appreciated.

thanks

maybe a screen resistor blew and the circuit heated, or a bad tube took it out. Did you always have 2 cabs plugged in? or at least the unused side vol at 0 and presence at 10? the 2:90 is pretty solid, shouldn't be too hard to get fixed

scott

I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few months ago. Arrived at a gig and powered up - lights on, but no sound and all the valves unlit. I had visions of a major repair bill :(

Took it to my repair man and, while not quite as badly burned as yours, he disconnected that plastic connector and wired everything directly to the board.
Voila - all the valves lit and everything returned to normal :D

It's been fine ever since.

The green wires are the connectors/supply to the 6.3V AC heaters....that looks like a short with the grounding (green-yellow). That why your tubes won´t heat up...
290pwr.gif

The plastic connector should be a 3.81mm spacing 8-pin connector which is fairly common.
Either get yourself a new connector or unsolder the old ones and solder the wires direct to the pcb...

Thanks for the response everyone.

I will get a new connector and see how that works out for me.

My problem was a bit diff. My leds wud flicker . I opened it up and found that the green leads were burnt. I kinda did what Lento did. I soldered the greens directly to the posts via power tube socket connecters that slid over posts. Its all rigged up but still works. My current prob is that when powering up I get pops, crackles and such. On bench, when viewing, little sparks happens which coincided with noises. One power tube flickered with the noise.Is or was it a bad power tube? It all happened after my power switch failed on power up and burned up which made my leds flicker. I shut down immedately. did the failed switch cause the P tube to go bad? Noises and such? Even w/ noises, 2:90 seemed to still work ok. Thanx for ur time. James

Back