Quad Preamp Volume question?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxr2000

Reaction score
Hello guys happy new owner of a Quad preamp, the sound is the classic mark and love it just like the older brother Studio preamp. but i found that (rhythm 1, LD 1) base on IIC are louder than (rhythm2,LD2) mark III section. I did change the preamp tubes, thinking that might be a tubes issue but there was no change. It is Normal that channel 1 its louder than Channel 2?

I believe it is designed this way, it seemed unusual to me at first but just try and set the volume's to an equal sound level and you won't have any problem. Other than having a different value on each channel for the volume.

I'd be curious to know as well why it is made this way.

Rob227 said:
I believe it is designed this way, it seemed unusual to me at first but just try and set the volume's to an equal sound level and you won't have any problem. Other than having a different value on each channel for the volume.

I'd be curious to know as well why it is made this way.
No you have this same issue with your Quad? well since is the second channel is the one with more gain is kind of weird to me but the sound is fantastic on both channels the way i set rhythm on channel 2 sound a bit like a Marshall crunch that is way cool. :)

perhaps it's just so clean lds can keep up with distorted ones
to me distorted sounds tend to give an impression of being louder than a comparable clean sound

it's really strange that the lead master volume stops at 3...higher settings do not give louder sound...however, the channel one lead master works "logically" the higher setting the louder...when i have my connected to my intellifex there is almost no inpunt shown on the input meters yet on channel one it's pretty high...

musicman700 said:
it's really strange that the lead master volume stops at 3...higher settings do not give louder sound...however, the channel one lead master works "logically" the higher setting the louder...when i have my connected to my intellifex there is almost no inpunt shown on the input meters yet on channel one it's pretty high...
you think this got to do with the Quad capacity to bleed channels to create new sounds?

mxr2000 said:
musicman700 said:
you think this got to do with the Quad capacity to bleed channels to create new sounds?

dunno...in fact, I have just read about this possibility of combining channels in the manual...I tried it (there was sth. like press two switches at the same time) but in fact nothing blended...so I don't know whether it works on my quad...maybe I'm doing sth wrong...

musicman700 said:
mxr2000 said:
musicman700 said:

dunno...in fact, I have just read about this possibility of combining channels in the manual...I tried it (there was sth. like press two switches at the same time) but in fact nothing blended...so I don't know whether it works on my quad...maybe I'm doing sth wrong...
you are doing it with the foot switch or with an external device like a Midi octopus or Mini Amp Gizmo?

musicman700 said:
you are doing it with the foot switch or with an external device like a Midi octopus or Mini Amp Gizmo?

I tried it with the my quad footswitch FU-2A
I that too but with no success, with a Midi octopus was the ticket do do it...

You have to push 2 channel's switches exactly at the same time. Tricky but not impossible with a little training. But in a live situation.... :roll:

I had a midi quad/abacus and some of the patches engaged 2 channels at one time. I also took a 1 ft. 1/4inch patch cable and plugged two together, like ld1/ld2 to get a slightly chunkier rhythm, but it wasn't a huge difference. I also tried getting it to use my GSP 2101 in the loop and from the outputs of the quad, but never got a useable result. It was almost inaudible. I did flip the Line/level switch on the back, but didn't really do anything. there could have been an issue with the quad, but I don't think there was. I ended up selling it and simplifying with a head unit. It was a really cool unit... great sounding, and would have liked to hold on to it and the abacus, but oh well. oh and yeah the mk IIC channel was louder than the mk III channel.

scott

The volume difference is normal. But levels can be fine with a bit of tweaking.

Try putting both masters at 5, then the Lead 2 master at 9 and the Lead master at around 3ish. I normally then put the Volume for each channel at around 7 1/2.Forgive me if Im wrong, I dont have the quad with me as I type this.

The volume sets the gain of the clean but also the saturation of the lead channel's distortion.

Then tweak the main masters to taste. Through doing this, and engaging the EQs in a V shape for both channels, you can get the levels right and still maintain lots of saturation in the distortion.

i love my quad its fantastic preamp right now Look for a 1U power amp maybe the velocity 300 to take it around in a 6U rack

Back