the weight of the power amps

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdomain

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first post.... it's great to find a forum all about Mesa. Good stuff!

I'm curious on the weight of the various power amps. Mainly the 5050, 9090 and 100100. The Mesa site doesn't list the weight anywhere! So I'm assuming they're bloody heavy ;-)

At the moment I'm using a pa style power amp to power my rig and it's not really cutting it sonically even though it's 400400. I tried a Marshall 100100 valve power amp and loved it! The thing is, in Australia, Marshall is way cheaper and is probably not much worse at all compared to the Mesa so I'm doing all comparisons atm before I buy. I currently run the Mesa Rectifier standard cab and I'm loving it :-D

Cheers,
Ritchie

That EL34 100/100 is a nice amp. I had the 9200 for a bit and wanted the EL34 100/100 because you couldn't put EL34's in the 9200. So because the 100/100 was so expensive I opted for the 9005 instead of the 50/50. Those Marshall tube power amps are nice. I wouldn't shirk at one....

Because this is a MB board I would obligatorily suggest the 2:100 because if you ever get the Recto pre you can switch it in to full Recto power mode....

That Recto Pre into 2:100 stuff just isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have both and I get about the same sounds from the regular inputs that I get from the recto inputs. I'm very sick of my preamp being a one trick pony so I'm moving onto an Egnater M4 this week.

Iconoclysm said:
That Recto Pre into 2:100 stuff just isn't all it's cracked up to be. I have both and I get about the same sounds from the regular inputs that I get from the recto inputs. I'm very sick of my preamp being a one trick pony so I'm moving onto an Egnater M4 this week.

Why not move to the Triaxis?

Trying out a few power amps currently (thinking of putting a new rack together) ... had some bathroom scales to hand...

MB 50/50 (the old-style one) - 11.3 kg
MB 20/20 - 6.1kg
Marshall 20/20 - 5.7kg

Know from previous experience that a rack built around a 50/50 takes some carrying!

MB 295 - 21 kg..... damned, where's my roadie again ? :mrgreen:

Yeah, no kiddin'... I have a 4HE rack and it holds just my 2:90 and TriAxis, and it weighs around 30kg!! :?

Even though I play a Roadster now, I'd like to chime in on this one as I've owned the 20/20, the 50/50, and the 295. 8)

I understand that weight can get annoying, but please consider that while the 295 is a big monster, the tone is the best of any of the 3 Boogie power amps I've played.

talltxguy said:
I understand that weight can get annoying, but please consider that while the 295 is a big monster, the tone is the best of any of the 3 Boogie power amps I've played.

After I'm done hauling my rack upstairs after band rehearsal I always "comfort" myself with this phrase:

"Heavy tone needs heavy gear!" :mrgreen:

talltxguy said:
+1'000'000 :mrgreen:

Jackie said:
talltxguy said:

After I'm done hauling my rack upstairs after band rehearsal I always "comfort" myself with this phrase:

:mrgreen:

The 295 is heavyish(and sounds absolutely ridiculous) but compared to my old solid state Marshall head I used to have, which weighed less, it seems easier to carry cause of the two handles on the front. Of course in a rack with a preamp things could get ugly but I haven't gotten that far yet.

BTW mine is weighed is lbs, lol, 46 to be exact. :D

Jackie said:
I used to say something similar when I had my old (and quite obnoxious) rig.
It was an ATA flight approved 2 head (loaded with 2, 2 channel Dual Rectifiers) 15 space rack (loaded with goodies and a 3 space rack drawer that had EVERYTHING I could EVER need)
I would also lug around 2, 4x12's to shows.

It was HEAVY in every sense of the word. My gear alone filled half my 15 passenger van up.

colemaneuclid said:
Jackie said:
I used to say something similar when I had my old (and quite obnoxious) rig.
It was an ATA flight approved 2 head (loaded with 2, 2 channel Dual Rectifiers) 15 space rack (loaded with goodies and a 3 space rack drawer that had EVERYTHING I could EVER need)
I would also lug around 2, 4x12's to shows.

It was HEAVY in every sense of the word. My gear alone filled half my 15 passenger van up.

I have a 4U rack with a 2:90 and TriAxis, and I'll never complain again!!! :lol:

Latest posts

Back