Quad Preamp more gain than a Studio Preamp?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxr2000

Reaction score
There is a Chance for me to get a Quad pre but what i like to know is how much different is the quad to the Studio in Gain "more gain or less Gain",sounds and Feel. And last i know is 3 spaces but how heavy is the Quad if we compare it to the SP? 10 pounds more?

I have a Quad and although I haven't tried a Studio Pre apparently the Studio Pre is more like the top section of the Quad which is supposed to be close to the Mark 2c+ and the bottom section of the Quad is based on the Mark 3. The Mark 3 section has more gain and sounds great for metal. I like the Mark 3 section for a metal tone and the 2c section for a more smooth rock solo sound.

Some of the experts here can probably give more of a detailed explanation between the Quad and Pre than I can.

The Quad isn't that heavy, maybe 15lb total I would guess.

Mmmhh... I read at this forum that the Studio Pre is "a very early Mark III" so, probably is close to Quad´s channel 2.

Anyway, I actualy play the metal rhythm and soloing in channel 1, and have a lot of gain, too.

I've never played or owned a Quad but the Studio has plenty of gain. I liked the Studio so much I thought about buying a Quad. Make sense? Maybe. :D

rjriley1 said:
I've never played or owned a Quad but the Studio has plenty of gain. I liked the Studio so much I thought about buying a Quad. Make sense? Maybe. :D
jejeje thats my idea too..

Ive had 2 quads..love em....every time i see a rig w/ a studio in it, the tones coming thru are real nice..i may have to check one out too! :D

i have the quad-love it! tone for days, versatility galore
i can't imagine anyone not finding their tone with it
rich cleans, ripping gain ftswitchable eq's
go for it!

dangit said:
i have the quad-love it! tone for days, versatility galore
i can't imagine anyone not finding their tone with it
rich cleans, ripping gain ftswitchable eq's
go for it!
yes is fantastic preamp like the studio Pre love then both, The only grim is that take 3 space and y heavy if you want to use it with a tube power amp, so its a keeper but in the studio or at home.

Latest posts

Back