What EQ is good for a guitar rig?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennie

Reaction score
I am interested in adding a programmable stereo midi EQ to my set up. I have not used any in the past. Is there a preferred unit or manufacturer for guitar rigs? I'm thinking in the $300 and under range.
Thanks

Malin said:
ando said:
Malin said:
The TC 1128 is a 28-band mono EQ.

I've read in the manual it can be set up...or I'M just stupid

I think so
If you mean it can be set up in stereo, no it can't. It only has one input channel and one output channel. 28 bands is massive overkill IMO. Would take too long to set. These EQ's are for large scale live mixing desks where you have to get the venue acoustics just right.

The TC 1128 can be used with a TC 1128x (expander) to make a stereo pair. You can also combine another 1128 in the same way.

I don't regard them as overkill at all. There are so many facilities available, from analysing any sound you put into it (with a realtime spectrum display) to controlling individual EQ bands via a midi controller. Not to mention having 99 presets instantly available, and there's an old software editor (Sounddiver) available, too.

The real beauty is that it's analogue, with digital control, and has a really nice sound to it.

I don't think you'll find both for $300, but you should be able to find one.

Lyn

lento said:
The TC 1128 can be used with a TC 1128x (expander) to make a stereo pair. You can also combine another 1128 in the same way.

I don't regard them as overkill at all. There are so many facilities available, from analysing any sound you put into it (with a realtime spectrum display) to controlling individual EQ bands via a midi controller. Not to mention having 99 presets instantly available, and there's an old software editor (Sounddiver) available, too.

The real beauty is that it's analogue, with digital control, and has a really nice sound to it.

I don't think you'll find both for $300, but you should be able to find one.

Lyn

Maybe not overkill for everybody, but for most. They are going for around $500-600 each for one that is over ten years old, generally speaking. So buying two is unattainable for most people. The other problem with expanding them or buying two is the increased size of your rack. If you have roadies that carry your gear everywhere it's ok, but when you have to haul it all around yourself, this is the kind of overkill that can break your spirit! In an ideal world though, yeah, I'd love to have two of these babies in my rack. :D

It's overkill in the sense that most people couldn't justify the expense of running them in stereo. I would actually just buy one and use it in mono before my effects change it to stereo. Also overkill in the sense that they have a ridiculous number of bands for a guitar setup. They go beyond the frequencies that guitar amps even produce - hence their intended use being live sound mixing desks. Still a great unit though.

Regarding the use of stereo for the guitar rig, I agree it's overkill when you can run one before your FX and still maintain stereo. This is what I do and can't think of any real benefit otherwise.

Regarding the extra bands, the 1/3rd octave is as good as it gets (without having a parametric EQ) and you also have to consider that the FX we generally use for guitar are also ridiculously spec'd. But, it's not only the fundamentals we hear.

Finally, the weight ........ Well, we're already carrying such a load that 3 or 4 more kilos doesn't really make that much difference :wink:

YOu have one for sale? how old is the unit. Are there any particular concerns with these units that I should be aware of?

Thanks for the replies B.B. community.

No I don't have one for sale...I'll be using it for my next build!

They work like a charm if you take the time to read the manual et let you ears guide you.

PM me your email and I'll see if I can grab some more

Malin said:

They work like a charm if you take the time to read the manual et let you ears guide you.

Hey for that price, I wouldn't mind grabbing one too.

Rocktron Pro Q. Stereo, programmable, midi. No longer made.

Search www for info and reviews.

Own one. Haven't plugged in for a l-o-n-g time (6~7yrs) but from what I remember, it's a ripper unit. I think I'm gonna set it up in the next few weeks (renovating) and give it a run.

Malin said:

Hi Malin I can't PM you (maybe I don't have enough posts?) but in case your source still has one please pm me you email address or theirs I would love one.

I agree that a stereo pair is unnecessary but if you guys disagree there is a TC 1128X on ebay USA auction at $29 with only 19 hours to go

There is the old Peavey Autograph which is good and then Rane bought the design

Back