Running a Triaxis direct to PA

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryjan

Reaction score
I just started gigging out and discovered what a lazy ******* I am. :lol: Dragging a head, cab, cables, etc is a pain. Also my other guitarist has a modeler amp that runs straight to the board and I'm miking my cab so stage volume has become an issue. I'm thinking about getting a Triaxis again and running it all by itself straight to the board via the recording outs for live shows and running it the same way through 2 powered PA speakers for practice and jams. I know I can run my Mark IV's record out also but I still have to drag the cab along also (cant run without a speaker load). How do the recording outs on the tri sound through ss power? Or should I give up and get an Axe FX?
edit: GAS is also playing a small factor in this as well. :wink:

You can easily build a dummy load in a small box for your MkIV so you don't have to drag the cab !

crane said:
You can easily build a dummy load in a small box for your MkIV so you don't have to drag the cab !
Yeah I know. There are other factors as to why I'd rather be using the Tri instead of the MarkIV also. I have a power conditioner, stereo rack effects, and hopefully soon , a wireless unit in a rack already so the triaxis could just hop on for the ride. MIDI is cool. Stereo outputs. And like I said, I have GAS :lol: . I had a Triaxis/2:90 rig a couple years ago and loved the tone. I just never used the recording outs and never ran it into a pa so I have no idea how it behaves when used like this. In my head I have it set like this: Guitar>Tri>fx loop to Gmajor>L/R fx return>Rec out L/R to board for shows or powered speakers when at home.

I've used my TA for recording, but serious ones were made through a cab. I can't remember the sound direct to the recorder through the rec outs. I can try and post some samples tomorrow if you want, but I don't know if my presets are made for this.
unfortunatly I don't have a descent PA to record it "live" (it's an old Shure 300 form the 70's :mrgreen: ). All I can say is some people like their TA running through the rec out even with a guitar PA.

The previous owner of my Triaxis used to do what you're asking. It sounded great using the recording out.

Also you could just pull the power tubes in the Mk IV and run it that way with no danger to the amp. I have to assume the Mk IV does not have an FX return loop jack that disconnects the normal pre to power amp routing?
I am no Mk IV expert so I don't know, but if it does, that will may also work w/o pulling the tubes. Of course it depends on how critical the load is even with no drive to the output tubes. Some amps (i.e. my 50-50) handle this well, others may not.

Good luck! :D

ryjan said:
crane said:
Yeah I know. There are other factors as to why I'd rather be using the Tri instead of the MarkIV also. I have a power conditioner, stereo rack effects, and hopefully soon , a wireless unit in a rack already so the triaxis could just hop on for the ride. MIDI is cool. Stereo outputs. And like I said, I have GAS :lol: . I had a Triaxis/2:90 rig a couple years ago and loved the tone. I just never used the recording outs and never ran it into a pa so I have no idea how it behaves when used like this. In my head I have it set like this: Guitar>Tri>fx loop to Gmajor>L/R fx return>Rec out L/R to board for shows or powered speakers when at home.

Well if you need the MIDI thing going on...nix the MkIV. Ya know I have been toying with the idea of selling my Tri, but then I think, Nah! too hard to replace, especially with a Recto board and no Phat mod....
:wink:

Thanks for the replies guys. Hey Old BF, I can run the Mark IV safely similar to the way I described also. I just want to able to control everything with midi and have the stereo outs. Not to mention 128 presets. :twisted:

This might be a dumb question... But if I get what ur saying since the TA doesn't have the power section it is safe to play with it no cab at all? Like direct to my computer or rec out to headphones? ( not that I'm planning to do this but good to know if I ever need to...)

ljbarbeau said:
This might be a dumb question... But if I get what ur saying since the TA doesn't have the power section it is safe to play with it no cab at all? Like direct to my computer or rec out to headphones? ( not that I'm planning to do this but good to know if I ever need to...)
Yes sir. No tranny to bake.

Everyone that has an Axe raves about it but I think they are all seriously deluded... even Andrian Belew! They must get caught up in the effects but to my ear over sprectrum analysed EQ'd studio monitors all demos I have heard including Adrians really had sh1te tone.

A Triaxis DI'd from record out or into a good tube power amp sounds magic without effects. Then later ad a TC Electronic or Lexicon reverb and delay and a TC chorus and it will be monsterous!

i went to a live concert of theirs a couple months back and james had his triaxis into a 2:90 and 2 4x12's for them

il give you my combine of setup for pa situation,,
i use triaxis with boss se 70 (like s. henderson)in the effect loop and redbox (huges & kettner) from the amp output not the record

ASG said:
Everyone that has an Axe raves about it but I think they are all seriously deluded... even Andrian Belew! They must get caught up in the effects but to my ear over sprectrum analysed EQ'd studio monitors all demos I have heard including Adrians really had sh1te tone.

A Triaxis DI'd from record out or into a good tube power amp sounds magic without effects. Then later ad a TC Electronic or Lexicon reverb and delay and a TC chorus and it will be monsterous!

Thank you for the great laugh!!! You haven't tried hard enough to find serious axe-fx clips...Try the user cronograph or the dream theater medley in axe-fx section on netmusicians.org. Again my bowels do not stand the laughter.

I hated the triaxis DI. Mine was a second version. I hope they improved it because it sounded like the mains out but weaker with less treble. My studio preamp sounded miles better direct (and as a preamp for mark sounds he he) but to tell you the truth not soooooo great. It is characteristic that

a) Mesa advices to also give the DI out to a guitar amp input to use them as distortion boxes (which indicates that are not clearly "DIed filtered") instead of the main out

b) I applied cab modeling to the triaxis DI (which it should be compensated for) and it improved the sound. It is not supposed to.

c) My tech21 killed them both (the triaxis and the studio preamp) direct to board with drums and all. It has a harsher sound but it cut through the mix.

d) My f-30's DI out was similar to the triaxis but less worse. It also improved with cab modelling afterwards.

If you are sooooooooooooo set to use the triaxis live direct then simply put take a good modeller with you for effects/maybe different sounds but mostly take it to being able to choose a decent cab model simulation to run triaxis main out--->cab modelling through the board. And having the option to switch through cab models plus additional post eq means to better tailor the sound.

I should advice you to steer away from the pod xt/x3 though. I like the unit but whatever I put through its cab modelling got podified. I don't mean aliasing or digital cold sound, but it sounded like the pod,particularly warm and compressed.

Maybe the digitech GSP 1101 is a good option. Good effects, mark simulation (backup to the triaxis patches perhaps in case of need?) 1U and many cab models. In the future perhaps custom cab models like the axe.

Latest posts

Back