The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Triaxis Sound Issues
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:00 am 
Bottle Rocket

News of a Triaxis fix posted with great pleasure. After four years of trying to coax a decent sound out of the triaxis and two expensive trips to repairers the Triaxis is finally working as it should. The second trip to John Farkis at Pro Audion ( mesa dealers and service centre in the Australia Capital Territory). He half fixed the Triaxis but returned it with rhythm channels that would clip with the master set above three, and a completely kleenex sounding lead one circuit. When I called to advise that Prosound hadn't corrected the problem I got the old " the Triaxis is different to other preamps therefore you don't know what you're talking about" story. I was on the verge of getting rid of it and dropped it off with John at BJ Amplifiers in Redbank Plains Ipswich for its last rites. After two hours on the bench he found four dead capacitors ( not LDRs) that Prosound had overlooked, which engaged both lead gain stages in all settings and routed the signals in several directions at once. BJ amplifiers assured me that the preamp had not been working as it should, that the dead capacitors were not of my doing, had simply failed with age, and were completely overlooked by ProAudio. The lesson here is that a competent tech is the best solution for Triaxis sound woes. Finally I have a great sounding preamp, am vindicated, and hope that this information will help others experiencing similar problems.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:00 am 
Bottle Rocket

News of a Triaxis fix posted with great pleasure. After four years of trying to coax a decent sound out of my triaxis and two expensive trips to repairers it's finally working as it should. The second trip to John Farkis at Pro Audio ( mesa dealers and service centre in the Australian Capital Territory) was the most frustrating. He half-fixed the Triaxis but returned it with rhythm channels that would clip with the master set above three, and a completely kleenex like lead one circuit. When I called to advise that Prosound hadn't corrected the problem I got the old " the Triaxis is different to other preamps therefore you don't know what you're talking about" story. I was on the verge of getting rid of it and dropped it off with John at BJ Amplifiers in Redbank Plains Ipswich for its last rites. After two hours on the bench he found four dead capacitors ( not LDRs) that Prosound had overlooked, which engaged both lead gain stages in all settings and routed the signals in several directions at once. BJ amplifiers assured me that the preamp had not been working as it should, that the dead capacitors were not of my doing, had simply failed with age, and were completely overlooked by ProAudio. The lesson here is that a competent tech is the best solution for Triaxis sound woes. Finally I have a great sounding preamp, feel vindicated, and hope that this information will help others experiencing similar problems.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:18 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Hi Peter
I've just bought an old secondhand Triaxis and it sounds like it has the same issues
A few of the modes don't work right with a guitar plugged straight into the unit, with the lead 2 modes not having any gain.
However plug a buffer (such as an fx pedal which is not hardwire bypass) and the gain returns to those modes.

However the unit does sound pretty flubby and ragged. I know that the Mesa sound is different to the more Marshall like sound I am used to , but it sounds really wooly and hard to get a tight bottom end out of. I'll need to check the serial number to know if it's a fat mod variant although I know the board is a TX4 from taking a peek.

I may have to seek out an experienced repair tech here in the Uk.

However I will show them this thread to make sure they look properly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 7:04 pm 
Mark II

Could just shotgun change all the elctrolytic caps [ when I did this on a pro audio piece, with the elna caps from digikey
the sound cleaned up, not in a brighter way as I pre-guessed but a less muddy way, well worth it. no need for those
if not in the signal path though, get the normal but higher temp rated caps ]
BTW, I have a CAE 3+ preamp and it's my " last thing " I would sell, go to, sounds , just not programable
still temped to buy a triaxis [ to join my rooster of preamps ] the Hafler / Bogner triple giant is different enough to be
worth it as well, if you can find a " reasonable " deal

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm 
Bottle Rocket

John at BJ Electronics Redbank Plains repaired the Triaxis by replaced several capacitors that have failed. Unfortunately, another failed six months later issuing a sound like a gecko being crushed in a door jamb. Afterwards, Lead One Red disappeared and the lead one gains are routed through the lead two gain control. According to John this is a common Triaxis issue because Boogie used capacitors that are prone to failure at the 20 year mark. In John's words they change from capacitors into resistors and interfere with the unit's switching mechanisms. While it's good to know that the fault is fixable, it's bloody annoying to have to take it in for an expensive repair every time one of Boogie's cheap caps wears out. John's become a Triaxis expert and has repaired several of late. For anyone agonising over the cause of poor Triaxis sound in older units the culprit is Boogie's component purchasing policy.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 1:24 am 
Mark II

Most caps don't last 20 years in any electrical device. Being a bit hard on Mesa aren't you?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:48 am 
Bottle Rocket

THTH,
Being too hard on Mesa? Considering the $200 spent Watson Electronics for a useless service that didn't even diagnose that there was a problem with the unit, the $250 odd spent at the Australian Mesa maintenance and service shop Pro Audio that missed the cause of the low gain and faulty switching, the $170 spent at JB Electronics to at last identify failed resistors as the cause of the Triaxis's sound issues, the costs of freight and time spent ferrying the unit to repairers by car, the hundreds of hours spent futilely tweaking the unit to try and coax a usable sound out of it, well meaning advice to the effect that the Triaxis is a complicated unit and that I don't know how to program it, the dearth of information available online to point users towards a fix, and the fact that after all of this another ***** resistor fails......

The longer term solution would be to replace every resistor in the unit but given the time and financial investment in the unit to date and the fact that this would involve extensive bench time I'll probably just keep it for home use as is and try get by with Dual Rectifier live ( not the same thing I know but apart from my Marshall Superleads, 800s, and hot-rodded clones the option I consider least likely to give up the ghost).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:35 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Peter men,

I think my triaxis is having similar sound issues, was it capacitors or resistors that was causing the problem?
much appreciated.