triaxis phat mod

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phantomlord2oo

Reaction score
doing research on my triaxis to get the most tone out of the unit i've come across mention of a phat mod. i was wondering what it does, how i'd get my triaxis modded for it and if there are any other kind of triaxis mods available.

on another note. i read that james hetfield of metallica has his triaxis modded. one of his units have a sticker saying "phase inverted IIc+" and the other modded one saying "recto." do any of you know if he has the phat mod done on his or different mods all together?

thanks for the help!

+Mike+

The Mesa 50/50 power amp was originally voiced to work with the Studio Preamp, and when the Triaxis was released Mesa offered a "fat mod" to revoice the 50/50 to sounded better with the Triaxis.

phantomlord2oo said:
thanks daisy, u have any knowledge of any other mods for the triaxis?

No.

Personally, I think the secret to James "modified" Triaxis sound is simply the fact that he's using a parametric EQ in a serial between the pre and power amps.....

The phat mod was just a tweak Mesa did for "newer" version 2.0 TriAxis's. They pumped up the Lead 1 Red a bit.

Kind of funny... with the new version of the TriAxis that was just released (announced at this past NAMM), the software is still 2.0, but the hardware has had major tweaks (completely different board/circuitry for Lead 1 Red, and a tweaked Lead 2 Red, according to an M/B rep).

As far as the Metallica mod is concerned... I always thought it was just a tweaked dynamic voice. It's basically an EQ+mixer option, and Mesa/Boogie states in the manual that very few people have had it changed and like it, and I'm willing to bet Metallica was one of those few.

Back