50/50 vs 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dass101

Reaction score
Ok, I know this was discussed before, and I read most of the topics regarding this.

I do have some specific questions though.

I have a Triaxis and a decent sounding 2xEL34 hand made power amp. The rig sounds good, but I always felt that the power amp is not quite up to par to the Triaxis.
Unfortunately I live in a country where I do not have access to lots of gear for trying out, so I must rely on other people's experience.

This weekend though I had the chance to try a Triaxis/2:90, and was really impressed with the tones. Definitely better than my current power amp. I didn't care very much for the deep setting, although it sounds good if you just want to chug, but the modern setting really impressed me, it created a bridge between the "old school" mark tones and the "new school" sounds.

Overall the 2:90 seemed very smooth and rich, with a great balance between agressive, tight and deep tones.

Now, because I find 2x90 Watts to be way too much for me, and also because I really am concerned about the weight of the unit, I wonder if the 50/50 or the 2:50 could give me the same rich and modern sound that the 2:90 gets (especially on the "modern" setting).
Is the 50/50 a GOOD power amp, will it be a good match to the Triaxis, and will I REALLY miss not getting a 2:90?

I really think it´s worth it to get the 2:90 instead of the 50/50.
I´ve had both and there is a big difference in warmth and fatness.
You really can tell that the Triaxis and 2:90 were made for each other.

Even though I have used 50/50's for years and now use the modernized version, I'd have to agree that the Triaxis is truly made for use with a 2:90. I have even considered going to a 2:90, just have saturation concerns. Which is why I went to lower wattage power amps long ago. But in all it's the best choice for your pre. IMHO

I too am interested in the info generated by this topic.

I'm curious (RectoStudioGuy), what specific differences do you see between the 50/50 & the 2:50. I know their features, but is there a sonic quality that leads you to one over the other?

I ask because I am seeking a 6L6 partner to my Studio Pre. I currently have a JC-120H...

Not really any sonic differences unless you go from 6L6 to EL34. I just ended up with the later version on a deal so I picked it up. I still have an old 50/50 in a different rig that sounds great, esp. when pushed really hard... which is why I went to them in the first place.

If you had the chance to buy both for the same price, would you choose one over the other?
If so, any particular reason?
I've noticed the 2:Fifty seems to be priced much higher.

I would look at my uses first. The 2:90 is, without a doubt, the premier power amp from M/B... but it's also an enormous amount of power that probably isn't suited to smaller venues, bars, etc. The 2/fifty allows you to turn it up and get into full saturation quicker. So I feel that for my purposes the smaller of the two is a bit more versatile not to mention that you can always mic your cabs if you're needing to be louder. (still wound't turn down a 2:90 if it were offered to me at the right price though :D )

RectoStudioGuy said:
I would look at my uses first. The 2:90 is, without a doubt, the premier power amp from M/B... but it's also an enormous amount of power that probably isn't suited to smaller venues, bars, etc. The 2/fifty allows you to turn it up and get into full saturation quicker. So I feel that for my purposes the smaller of the two is a bit more versatile not to mention that you can always mic your cabs if you're needing to be louder. (still wound't turn down a 2:90 if it were offered to me at the right price though :D )

I typo'd and put 2:90 instead of 2:Fifty.
I guess I was just wondering if you could get a 50/50 and a 2:Fifty for the same coin, would you pick one over the other?

I'm thinking that I'd probably lean towards a 50/50 just because of the low power feature.
I don't know that I'd use the EL84 option as much as being able to drop the power down.

[/quote]I typo'd and put 2:90 instead of 2:Fifty.
I guess I was just wondering if you could get a 50/50 and a 2:Fifty for the same coin, would you pick one over the other?

I'm thinking that I'd probably lean towards a 50/50 just because of the low power feature.
I don't know that I'd use the EL84 option as much as being able to drop the power down.[/quote]

EL-34, but I think I know what you mean. If your intention is is to use 6L6 sound then the older 50/50 will do exactly the same as the newer 2/fifty.

I got the 50/50, partly because of price, partly because of low power mode. I love the amp, but in my opinion, the low power mode is useless. All it does is limit the plate voltages of the phase inverters, so they clip before you can reach full power. It also alters the tone substantially. I find that the 50/50 sounds fantastic even if you run the hi power mode at low volume.

In retrospect, I would take the 2:50 if it were close in price because then I could try EL34s if I ever wanted to. I also think the modern voicing might be cool, though I have never heard one.

I sure am happy with the 50/50, either way.

The Triaxis is really loud as preamps go, and I can still get very quiet with my Triaxis/2:90 setup. So quiet, with a full-gain sound I don't wake my one-year-old in the next room.

The 2:90 in Half-drive with the volumes barely on, no deep, no modern, is very low volume. Plus you get that great warm sound only the 2:90 gives, and when you want to crank it up, you really can blow the doors off. Not saying you can't with the 50/50 because you definitely can with that too :)

The 2:90 and 50/50 are both great amps, but having owned two 2:90s and two 50/50s over the years, the 2:90 is just hands down a better, sweeter sounding amplifier with more tonal variety and options. Plus it makes the Triaxis sound downright phenomenal whereas it sounds quite average IMO through the 50/50.

I completely agree with this. I just pulled my 50/50 out of my Triaxis rig in favor of my 2:90. The Triaxis matches perfectly with the 2:90, especially with modern engaged.

desertdweller said:
The Triaxis is really loud as preamps go, and I can still get very quiet with my Triaxis/2:90 setup. So quiet, with a full-gain sound I don't wake my one-year-old in the next room.

The 2:90 in Half-drive with the volumes barely on, no deep, no modern, is very low volume. Plus you get that great warm sound only the 2:90 gives, and when you want to crank it up, you really can blow the doors off. Not saying you can't with the 50/50 because you definitely can with that too :)

The 2:90 and 50/50 are both great amps, but having owned two 2:90s and two 50/50s over the years, the 2:90 is just hands down a better, sweeter sounding amplifier with more tonal variety and options. Plus it makes the Triaxis sound downright phenomenal whereas it sounds quite average IMO through the 50/50.

2:50 and 50/50 arent the same. 50/50 is voiced vintage mark boogie style, where the 2:50 leans more tword 50 watt recto. if you are looking to throw down some 80's type solos i would go with the 50/50/

I'd definately not agree that the 2:Fifty leans towards recto. Just a modern version of the original w/ some voicing options.

Back